93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

tie rod problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default tie rod problem?

my 97 rswas making noise when i turn the wheelboth ways now i put somegrease in it and it is only making the noise when i turn left does that mean the tie rod needs to be replaced? thank you forthe help.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: tie rod problem?

ORIGINAL: camaro girl

my 97 rswas making noise when i turn the wheelboth ways now i put somegrease in it and it is only making the noise when i turn left does that mean the tie rod needs to be replaced? thank you forthe help.
where did you put the grease? when you say "turn left" does that mean sitting still or driving?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i put the oil in the ball and socket only a little got in there. and it makes noise when driving (turning)and when sitting still and turning. sorry it was oil not grease, didnt have grease. after i put the oil in i did not drive the car i only turned the wheels while it was in park. the noise stopped when i turn it right but it still is there when i turn it left. also the noise is coming from by the right tire. thanks for the replies.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Ninja Administrator

did you grease all the zerks?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no just put a little in there i am replacing the tie rod tomorrow and will grease it up then. thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: camaro girl

i put the oil in the ball and socket only a little got in there. and it makes noise when driving (turning)and when sitting still and turning. sorry it was oil not grease, didnt have grease. after i put the oil in i did not drive the car i only turned the wheels while it was in park. the noise stopped when i turn it right but it still is there when i turn it left. also the noise is coming from by the right tire. thanks for the replies.
Is the noise a rattle sound or a click? could be strut mount? you say the sound is coming from the tire area so im guessing you could be right about t-rod? but i would take it in for aligment and they could tell you since your buying the part anyway and after you put the t-rod on, the car needs analigment. whoo miller time!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oil will do nothing for a tie rod, it will leak right out. Tie rods need grease. When you turn the wheel when does it make the noise when you first start turning it, in the middle of turning? If you sit in your car with it running in park or neutral whichever you have jerk the wheel left and right back and forth fairly quickly. See if you can hear the sound. If so its probably a tie rod, but you should find out if its the inner or outer tie rod endbefore buying one because you are probably just going to buy the outer i take it and it may be the inner.