93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Things to do while engines out

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

New rods? Most of the time when a rod spins a bearing it is either due to a lack of lurication or over reving the motor. The rod bolts stretch enough to allow the bearing to move out of its seat. Any rod that has had a bearing spun will need replaced or resized/bolts replaced. If there is any chance this was due to over reving the all rods need to be resized and all rod bolts should be replaces along with all main bolts.

You are completely disassembling the motor? The motor should be tanks and cleaned, you should get the Cam bearing replaced because the spun bearing will have sent metal into the Cam and vavle train. There is really no way around this. You should add a new oil pump just to be sure.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-19-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

the only thing i didnt take out is the cam and balance shaft. i think it was a combo or lack of oil and over revving. is their a way i can measure the bolts so i dont waist money on new ones, im starting to get a little low on money. when i get rods resized, do i need bigger bearings then?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is no easy way to check to see if a bolt has been over stressed. Talk to your machine shop. Resizing rods should put them back to factory specs. If there is too much scoring the rod will need repaced. You really need to atlease inspect the CAM bearings. If the metal from the spun bearing damaged the CAM bearings you will not have any oil pressuse when you start your motor. Have you checked for cylinders size and out of round?

Who ever made the decision to try to rebuild a high miles motor with a spun bearing based on cost has not done many motors. You are going to have a lot of money tie up in this and your not even going to be sure your rings will reseat. You should have found a low miles motor.

Edit: If your motor really "Spun" 2 bearings you starve the engine for oil and you sent metal all thru the engine. The chances that a rollor cam survived that are pretty low the chances the lifters are not going to get any metal in them is almost non existant. Roller cams are great but they are very unforgiving. You cut the oil supply for even a short time and the cam starts taking damage. From that point on its the snow ball effect. Might be ok for 1000 to 2000 miles then one of the roller locks up and the motor is toast.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-20-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

i instected the cam bearings and lifters for any metal, non was found... for the rods, one need to be replaced and im not sure about the others. another problems i have is buying gaskets. is there a brand i should get or would any do? like this is $110 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-05...Q5fAccessories
and this is $192 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...Q5fAccessories
should i buy cheaper or more expansive?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You disassembled all the lifters? There is no way to inspect all the ports in a blocks. With the path you are heading down I would bet there is less then 20% chance this motor will make in 2500 mile with out another major repair. You might get lucky.

With gaskets I like to use name brands so I can not help with this. One link gave me a laugh tho.

"All gasket sets are brand new and not refurbished" Is there a big market for refubished Gaskets? I have never gotten a core charge for one LOL.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i guess allot would depend on how long the motor ran with the bearing spun but you are going to get some amount of metal throughout the motor when this happens. as stated you should completely disassemble the motor and have the parts and block tank boiled and checked. new cam, lifters, replace damaged rods and have the head checked out. imo for what its worth, rebuilding the existing motor is probly the most expensive choice.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

now instead of a rebuild, i am buying a engine with 42K out of a 05 buick for $700. that will work right? The only thing different is the bigger ported heads? with a engine with 42K i shouldnt do the timing chain or stuff like that but would it be a good idea to put better head gaskets in and a new water pump? i figure with this i should save a lot of money and time

Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When it comes to what to do with a used motor its tuff to know where to draw the line. When I did my motor I scratch my head on this for awhile. Now, I regrett not doing the head gaskets. They have not given me any issues yet but everything else is working so dam good IMO the head gaskets are the only weak spot on my car. I put in a 02 motor with 48K on it. Car has 25K on it since the swap still running great with no leaks. Underside of the car is so clean I noticed the oil pan is starting to rust due to stone chips.

Timing chains are not a weak spot on these motors. There are a lot of 3800 with 200K on them with the original chain. 05 Head gaskets should be fine for another 4-5 years as long as you maintain the coolant and don't add any No2.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ok. would you sugest a new intake gasket? im going to replace things like spark plugs/wires, water pump put headers on stuff like that. i thing it might need o2 sensers too, before it died it ran rich.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't think you have a choice on the intake. I think you need to swap out to your current lower intake.

Quick Reply: Things to do while engines out