93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Things to do while engines out

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Things to do while engines out

Early last month my 98 camaro got a seized bearing, i think. Anyways what would be the best way to fix it but not costing a lot of money? A complete rebuild, new bearings, what? Would it be cheaper to just buy a used motor with like 50K on it? and while i have the engine apart and out of the car, are their any parts that would be a good idea to replace? like some thing that might worn out or fail in the future? Also i want more power to, could i do something like a cam but still be relilabe enough for a daily driver? what are some other mods i should do while its out? Sorry for all the questions

Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Probably be cheaper to replace motor with a donor engine. If your bearing seized, the motor will have to have a complete tear down, cleaning and rebuild. If you get a donor, it would be wise to replace the intake gaskets, plugs and wires, the plastic L shaped bypass hoses, and usually the water pump. Check it over for any oil leaks such as around the oil pan and the rear main. Engine does not have to come from a camaro. Look for Massey sticky explaining which engines will be compatiable.

While you have the engine out, it is a good time to do anything to the front suspension and brakes as well as clean the engine bay if it is dirty. When you put it all back together, replace all the hoses and the belt.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

To add to what he said:

With a 98 its a good time to add headers! Replacing those cast iron manifolds is a nice upgrade and the job is a PITA with the motor in.

If you get an older motor it might be worth it to replace the head gaskets. Intakes and head gaskets seem to be the most common issue with these 3.8s.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

also clean the crap out of the inside of the compartment maybe some paint too put your own custom flair in there

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Lets say i have $1000 for this project. What could i do with it? like the engine is $700, how much is the other gaskets, seals and stuff going to cost? I know i need new spark plugs but are plug wires something i should replace? are those e3 plugs any good?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what are you going to do for gaskets??? you should go with OEM plugs thats what your engine is designed to run plug wires should be replaced too... 700 for an engine seems a little expensive i can get a 3800 with less than 100k miles for 275

Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

$300 will be tight just for pugs,wires, intake gasket kit,belt ,hoses ,waterpump.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

gaskets like the intake, exhaust, throttle body, stuff like that. that 700 is for a engine thats all ready pulled out and with 60K miles or less.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would buy just the stuff you know you have to have. Which should include plugs,wires and intake gasket kit. You will run into stuff that breaks. I'll bet you end up running over budget.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ok, its been a while but i got the engine out and apart. the problem turned out to be 2 rod bearings spon. Could that have bent some rods? (thats what my dad thinks). So far i got the crank turned and new rod and main bearings. On the list i have (in no order) water pump, AC delco spark plugs, gasket kit, thermostat, belt, piston rings, timming set, MSD plug wires, expansion plugs, pace setter headers and those plastic L-shaped heater hose connectors. is there any thing that i missed or would be a good idea to replace while its apart?

Quick Reply: Things to do while engines out