93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

t5 trans question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 AM
Default t5 trans question

Not too sure if this is the right spot so sorry if it isn't.
Basically I got a used t5 for $80 and want to rebuild it for a project I am brewing up.
Upon taking the tailhousing and shift forks out I can immediately see the reverse slider will 100% need to be replaced along with maybe the cluster gear and idler. They look pretty chewed up and have whole teeth gone from them in some spots.

Anyway I'm going to list questions to make is easier to reply
1. What I am wondering is what small parts kit to get?
This may seem silly but I am not sure as to whether or not the ford racing kit will work. Best bang for buck here.

2. If I do have to replace the cluster gear it doesn't seem easy to find one for this exact model so what is a good drop in replacement? The stronger the better, I have seen a couple s10 and mustang ones around but don't want to have it mess the gearing up if its wrong.

3. What kind of power have people put through these with stock gears reliably? This isn't going to be behind anything too crazy, but want to compare and know where the limit is.

4. Any suggestions on a good shifter? I will have to replace the one that came on it for one with a slight bend to fit the car better anyway so if you have any suggestions its appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Step one is to figure out if you have a T5 or a World Class T5? Also is this a transmission out of a Camaro? The Camaro trans has a 15 deg tilt on the shifter that a S10 or a Mustang would not have. Search the web to see how to tell the difference between a T5 and a WC T5. The should be a model number, I am sure the model is stamped on the back part of the case. Try a Google search for T5 XXXXXXX

The T5 is a very limited transmission. Reliably the WC T5 can handle about 325 Ft lbs of torque and the Base T5 is around 200. Since the trans case itself is the limiting factor I am not aware of any racing kits, but I am sure you can find some upgrade parts like better syncs and shift forks. Many manual transmission are much stronger then they are rated for, not the T5. GM was so worried about their strength and they would not put them behind a 350 only the 305. The 3rd gen 350 was rated 330 ft lbs of torque. GM could have made a lot of money selling 350/5 speeds but the engineers said that there was no way to increase the torque rating and it would not make it out of warranty.

The T5 did a lot of different jobs and has a lot of different application, A 3.4 WCt5 out of a 95 camaro is not interchangeable with a 1996 3800 WCT5 Camaro because of the clutch setup. Some of the 80's models where very challenging to assemble, they required both a freezer and a oven and you had to be quick.

As a general rule broke manual transmission are not worth repairs, With the exception of bearings most parts are very expensive. A broken manual transmission can cost X2 or more then a automatic to rebuild. In most cases we tell customers to find a used transmission without any broken parts and let use rebuild that with new bearings and syncs.

Sounds like you bought a parts trans. The cluster gear/counter shaft It is the most common failure point due to too much torque and the most expensive part of the trans. If you find a trans with a good counter gear just fix that one.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-11-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 AM

Its is a WC t5 from a v6 camaro, but not sure whether its a 1352 245 or a 247 as the tag is rusted over going to take another look at the case today and see if there is anything.

Doesn't really matter in my case whether it came from a 95 or 96 since its not even going back into a camaro.
Just wondering if the bearing and sync kits are interchangeable between the ford and GM wc's as from my understanding the 5.slow cars came a bit stronger of a t5 and this wasn't all due to the bearings etc of course but I would rather get the better kit if I could.
I am just going to get the gears it needs and rebuild it so will any counter shaft work?

Power goal is around 350 whp and around the same torque so good to know it should work.

Another, question is what diameter clutch is usually used on these cars?