to trans am, or not to trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default to trans am, or not to trans am?

i like the old school trans ams, especially the gta. anyway, i see one for around $350 all original. the car is running and drives. i know for sure it`ll need a engine/tranny rebuild my local speedshop said that it`ll be around 2200 for the engine, and 1300 for the tranny. 4300 all together if they do the work (pulling out and putting in). body is straight.

what do you guys think? pricewise, workwise, timewise? maudy?craby?gorn?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
June '09 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

year? mileage? pics? what tranny does it have?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

1987 154k miles red, 700r4 automatic

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I believe when you buy a $350 car the motor and trans are only part of the equation. If you are not really up on these cars you should have it checked out. Electical problems, computer problems, Rust issues things like gages and everything else could cost as much as the major parts. The car will kill you $100 at a time.

When you buy the cheap after market warranty all they cover is the motor and the tranny and rear. It looks good on paper but the reallity is most repairs are not motor and tranny.

The numbers you quoted above seem very good, too good. Last time I pulled a 700R4 out and took it to a friend for a rebuild it cost me over a grand, 750 just in parts. He did it as a side job, he said that was normally a $1300 repair. Same with the motor. You could get a decent motor for 2200 but get it and get it installed?

I am not saying don't do it I just think you should double your $4300 budget if you want a nice driver when your done. T-tops and power windows could cost you a 1K right there.

When I did my car I searched for 6 months to find a car with a blown motor that had been garaged kept and babied all it life. Funny part was with a blown motor these cars do not sell for much more then one that is completely dogged out.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Overdrive Member

You can have a running car for $4300, but as Gorn brought up, it's going to take quite a bit more than that to have a car you actually want to drive. Remember, any miles that are on that motor are also probably on the suspension etc. Sounds like it could be a fun project, but that's exactly what it's going to be. A Project.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

hmm.. guess it might be better to keep looking, the car to me seems like a steal for the price, but looking at costs of what i`ll have to do to really enjoy it might outweigh the fun. I drove the car and it drives decent, the engine doesnt really have the power and when changing gears from R-N-D i really feel the shift.the ttops dont leak, and the power windows work, the interior is in one piece only needing headliner,carpet,dashpad, and a good cleaning. you guys think it wont be worth the effort?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...%3D1%26ps%3D63

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you want to do it as a project over time, a few months etc it would be nice for you to do it. However, i've done a couple of project car rebuild myself to learn how to fix things. I recently finished a quick rebuild of a 1969 MG midget, 2 seater convertable british car. I bought it as it was pretty straight but ended up fully stripping it down to shell and motor as the body needed more work than I thought and it was in very good condition vs some others id seen.

I dont know much about the trans but it would be nice to build the motor yourself. And if you know what the problems are as Gorn said then you know what to expect.

Are you planning on keeping the car? or selling it on.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

if i bought it i`d plan to keep it till it blows up. i dont mind the work, but id have to take a second look at the shell, underneath for rust and so. my biggest problem is a place to put it.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

idk that looks like a lot more work than what you need. you could probably find a real nice one of those for less than 4300, then use the spare money to do whatever to it. i say no to this and try to find something else.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The car in the link is $800, not $350. Is that the one you're looking at?

Quick Reply: to trans am, or not to trans am?