93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

supercharger requirments

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Default supercharger requirments

ok i want to supercharge my 96 camaro 3.8l what all do i need to do to it before i can put the super charger in ?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Overdrive Member

Here we go again...

USE SEARCH!!!!!!!

Do you know anything about supercharged engines?
Then what SC are you planning on using?
Do you have fabrication skills and access to a machine shop if you decide to use the L67 engine?

Massey

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

i do not know much about supercharching engines but i do have fab skills and acces to machine shops

Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Overdrive Member

Do some research, use the search here on the forum, this gets asked about once a month at least and we always have the same answer.

There used to be kits for the 3800, due to lack of interest no one makes them any more.

GM makes a SC 3800 engine, the L67, it uses an Eaton M90 blower. The engine as built by GM produces 260HP, it can be found in a few different vehices, and uses the same block as the engine in your car. GM even put one in a Firebird, using mostly off the shelf components, BUT this is not an easy swap. The intake for the M90 is in the rear of the engine which puts the air cleaner in the radio of our cars. Holden makes an elbow that brings the intake inlet around the front of the engine, but this goes to the left which will not work too well with the brakes sitting right there. You would have to find a way to adapt the U-tube to the right, find a TB and MAF and a few other goodies to get this all in place.

GM found that while this can be done it was not cost effective to do it. The gain of only 60 HP was not worth the thousands needed to make the install work.

Massey

Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

get an ls1 if u want power.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Exclamation

I don't agree with that at all, even 5th Gen V6 owners are putting power adders on their 3.6L V6s, so why not the 3.8L!?

Originally Posted by Roachz28
get an ls1 if u want power.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The cost, work, and time it requires wouldnt be worth it. Not to mention if it isnt done properly and tuned right it can cause problems.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Take it from me, not worth the trouble! I took out my white board and did a pros versus cons, the cons outnumbered the pros! Money, time, effort, all for 60 horses at the fly wheel?

Then you need to make sure your tranny can take it, followed by a two piece driveline, and a weak rear end wont give you what you are looking for. Translation, get a V8 camaro. In this instance displacement wins.

If you are one those types that has mad skills and really needs to do something they say cant or often isnt done then by all means do what you need to do. Holden has most of the parts you need to do this.

As far as a new Camaro goes sure they are super charging a V6, there is a market for it and that is the flavor of the day. Just not a market to super charge those motors compared to FWD 3800. Sorry I am tired and ranting at this point.

If you decide to super charge your car, take pics along the way and let others know how you are doing it.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Roachz28: bah humbug!

So would you say this isn't worth the time and money too? To each his own, I guess...

TWIN TURBO V6 CAMARO by IPS Motorsports for Orange5thGen - Chicago 5th Gen Camaro Forum

Or this?
First STS Kit in Chicago Area - Chicago 5th Gen Camaro Forum

Granted, 5th Gens, but it matters what the owner wants -- I say more high power V6's!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No I wouldnt say that at all! I think more power V6's are good idea because you can squeeze alot out of a V6, I think the Grand National's/GNX proved that you can get a lot with little.

After changing out a motor I realized that I would have to get a L67 block and all the upper components for it and then try to modify the car and find parts would not have been easy.

Not saying it cant be done, with the right amount of money and tools anything is possible. I learned my lessons the hard way with my camaro, just wanted to help someone else avoid the same issues, but to each his/her own.

Quick Reply: supercharger requirments