93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by demojr90
im thinking about buying a junk yard engine tht has low miles and getting the heads off of tht 3800 and having both the heads and cams polished and "something else someone told me about but i forgot what it was called", for more power cause i know if you do one you gotta do the other, .
You have no idea what you are talking about. You need to do more research and ask less questions until you know the basics. You need to understand the basics of how an engine works before you decide on how to change its design, When ever you change a motor there are costs. Porting and polishing heads can increase HP but only at very high RPMs. At 3000 RPMs it can make you car less powerful. Don't just do what someone tells you learn it and decide what is best for you.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Well you would be correct someone did tell me to do tht. And your right when it comes to redoing things i dont know what i am talking about. I have taken apart several engines and put them back together after looking into it 1 time, im a quick learner and ive never taken something apart and not been able to put it back together. So since you seem to obviously be more knowledgeable about this stuff then i, Where can i learn this material at? I understand that i dont know most of this stuff i knew i wasnt fooling anyone seeing what you guys talk about all the time, i know you guys know alot alot of stuff. Would i be able to trust someone elses knowledge on making my car more powerful and faster cause i was looking into getting this stuff done soon. I know thats all someone else wants is for someone else to make there car better, well for the moment thats honestly where im at do to my lack of knowledge but i do actually plan on learning alot about engines and i plan on specializing in General motor. I know i gotta long way to go but ill be there someday. I know basic things and how to do programmers and intakes and upgrading small other things but your right, no knowledge what so ever on re designing an engine. So do you think you could help me out?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Start with youtube. You will be amazed how many training videos find ther way to You tube

then for the engine building basics go here
SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store

Once you get the basics down start searching , even on this websites guy have build threads but there are a lot of other much larger websites with 100's of build thread in some cases years worth building and rebuilding. Many of the threads highlight mistakes that maybe you can avoid.

Taking a stock engine apart and putting it back together can be done by most people. Redesigning a motor to run a certain way take a lot of knowledge. Some upgrade to your car are almost without a negitive side, take replacing junk exhaust manifolds with header. It is a win win but you start getting larger cams and port and polish heads now are changing the way the engine breaths and you will give something up to get something new.

Try this one
https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...sleeper-40642/

Just remember the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long

Last edited by Gorn; 07-21-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Wow thanks for all the help. I truely am thankful. I will be doing alot of research and reading a whole lot, and def learning a whole lot to. Ill keep in contact. Again thank you

Old 07-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Overdrive Member

If you want to know more about the different 3800 engines take a look at my sticky on the V6 page (same place as this thread) and follow the first linky there. It will take you to the engine rebuilder's mag article about the 3800 and a little history about this "Fireball". Anyway the Series I supercharger sux and it not very desirable as far as the M90s go. Also the M90 that was used by Ford, or Nissan is NOT the same as the M90 used by GM. Even tho they are the same "M90" that only refers to the series of SC not the actual unit itself. A Series II and III SC will interchange but a Series I will not. There were HUGE changes in the engines between the Series I and II but only minor changes from II to III. It is explained in my thread and the engine builder's site as well.

I have to agree with Gorn when he says if you have to ask you are in over your head. I have OK fab skills, my father is a Machinist and he has great fab skills but I doubt I will ever attempt to do this mod. I love the L36 and L67 but I can use 1/2 the money and put an LS1 in the 10's. Granted a SC in the Camaro would be "cool" it just would not be what I would do with the V6... SC on the LS1... Now that is a different story!

Massey