93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

STRANDED OUT OF STATE! how do i bleed air out of coolant HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008 | 04:06 PM
|
Default STRANDED OUT OF STATE! how do i bleed air out of coolant HELP!!!!!

I HAVE A 94 3.4 v6 CAMARO NO COOLANT IS GOING INTO THE BLOCK!!!! From cold start up it goes to red temp in like 4 min. The Upper and lower radiator hoses stay cold. I changed water pump yesterday and its still overheating and thermostat was changed about a week ago. How do i bleed the air from the coolant on A 3.4 v6, i have the chilton, and no luck on the info someone help, im stranded at a hotel in wyoming and need to get back to CALIFORNIA

Thanks!
Stephen

Old 03-20-2008 | 05:25 PM
Default RE: STRANDED OUT OF STATE! how do i bleed air out of coolant HELP!!!!!

the way i bleed the air out of the hoses and coolant system is to have the engine cold (IMPORTANT!! never to take the radiator cap off when hot you can get injured with pressuized hot fluids) Take the Radiator cap off while the car is cold and start the engine with it off and wait til the heat gets to half and the thermostat should open and allow coolant to enter the engine. if your still not getting coolant to the engint i believe you need a new thermostat. easy fix if you do it yourself and relitavely cheap. hpe this helps

Old 03-20-2008 | 08:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

as the engine runs it will belch out the air and its mildly random, if the whole sysem has been drained and refilled it will take a day or two or three to belch out all of your air. the air is trapped in the engine. your problem most likely lies with your thermostat if your reservoir is full. also check for any hoses that may be kinked or leaks.

Old 03-21-2008 | 02:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

You did mention that you had your thermostat changed recently and I'm assuming that you changed out the coolant, this may be the cause of your overheating issue. When refilling the cooling system, air can become trapped under the thermostat. This will form a steam pocket that prevents the thermostat from opening and may cause the engine to overheat. Some cooling systems have a bleeder valve that can be opened to vent air from the system while refilling the system. If you don't have a bleeder valve you can drill a small hole in the thermostat. This will allow air to escape past the thermostat so it is not trapped inside the engine block. Some thermostats come with something called a "jiggle valve." These have a small hole in the thermostat with a pin that allows air to escape.

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

before you try any thing start it cold with the rad cap off and squeze the upper rad hose. this can purge the air. Don't leave or let it get to hot. SFC