93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Starting and Idle problems 95 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Default Starting and Idle problems 95 3.4L

---First, a little history into the problems---

A couple of months ago I started having trouble starting my Camaro (1995 3.4L V6). It cranks fine, but would have trouble turning over. Sometimes it would take me 3-4 tries before it would start, usually when cold, and when it did turn over it started and ran perfectly like there was never any problem at all. At that point it was only a minor inconvenience to have to crank so many times before turning over. I figure it could be the fuel pump relay going out, but I never tried to replace it.

Now a couple months later, the problem has only gotten worse. First, instead of just starting and running fine (when it did decide to turn over), I started having it turn over and then die on me, infrequently at first, then more often. At this point I assume the fuel filter is clogged and replace it - no problems for 2 days, then it starts acting up again. Same problems continue, and infrequent rough idle.

--- Now the Important Part ---

A few days ago, I get it to start and drive a short trip (less than five miles) to goto the store. Upon trying to leave, my car turns over but the idle was very rough, sounded horrible (air suction/vacuum noises coming from engine bay), I could smell fuel in the exhaust, and then it eventually died after about 10 seconds of the car trying to maintain idle. I wait a few minutes and try again - same thing. A few more tries and then my car starts normally and I drive home at let it sit.

Today I tried replacing the Ignition Control Module after following a tip from a buddy. After bolting on the new part, my car refuses to start at all (still cranks fine). I can smell fuel in the exhaust while trying to start, so I am assuming I am not getting spark somehow.

As far as I can figure, something that sets the timing in malfunctioning which leads to the car not starting at all, or running horribly to the point of it dying - and when timing is correct, it runs fine.

I as able to test the 3X Crankshaft position sensor with a DMM while cranking the engine, it read 0.7VAC (repair manual says below 0.1VAC it is malfunctioning). I couldn't figure out how to test the 24X sensor, manual says a "square wave between 0-12 Volts should be seen at terminal B", but I don't know which wire is terminal "B".

What do you guys think, could the above symptoms be caused by a malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor? The 24X high-resolution sensor is used to set the timing below 2000 RPM, so could this be the culprit? My car has not given me any error codes. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!