93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Squealing Belts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Normally, when a water pump starts to go, it makes more of a "growling" noise. Followed by a leak. If you take the belt off, turn the pump pulley by hand. You can generally hear and feel if the bearing is shot.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Ok, well I will try cleaning everything, and will grab a Gatorback.
If that doesn't work, replace the Waterpump?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by stillettoDSM
Hey everyone, New to the Forum, a buddy and I just traded a wrecked 98' Eclipse GSX for a 95' 3.4L Camaro, so things are definitely different from the "Tuner" Scene.
The Car actually drives pretty well, a few Suspension issues, but nothing too bad.
The couple things that are bad are as follow, the ABS Inop Light is on, breaking is horrible on Wet/Damp Streets, and the Belts are Squealing HORRIBLY!
I've read most of you guys replace the Idle Tensioner Pulley, so I figured I'd grab one of those anyways, but if I spray some WD-40 Directly onto the center bolt/bearing of the Alternator, the noise stops for a few seconds or two.. bad Alternator?
The Serpentine Belt itself looks brand new..
If anyone has any ideas on what might be going on, please chime in.. otherwise, I'm very interested in any Tips/Tricks, Ideas on what we should do with this Car.
Thanks a lot!

Hey buddy, I have a 98 camaro and I changed the alternator, and the belt started to squeal, and I tried a technique that my buddy told me and that was take a dollar bar of soap while car is running and just hold closely to the belt as it runs on it then do the lower end by the tensioner pulley... Don't get it to lubed, but it will stop the belt squeal your having.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Auto Parts Warehouse has a Bosch Water Pump for $50, I figure I'll just grab it and go from there..
Anyone think I shouldn't? Tried the Bar of Soap.. didn't work.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Auto Parts Warehouse has a Bosch Water Pump for $50, I figure I'll just grab it and go from there..
Anyone think I shouldn't? Tried the Bar of Soap.. didn't work.

Well I just recently discovered that the bar of soap just stopped it temporary..Bc I figured out the problem on mine is the belt tension went bad, the bearing inside of the tensioner. So if u can watch as the cars running on the belt tensioner u should be able to see it moving slightly up n down kinda like a bounce. Also you can take ur hand in push down on the tensioner and it prob will move half inch and u will hear the squeal. Belt tensioner is about 90.00 after tax n shipping from ur local auto zone.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the tensioner is good but the pulley bearing is bad, then see if you can replace only the pulley. The bearings on my LT1 (yes i know yours is a 6) were dry. So I removed the pulleys, carefully removed the end seals, cleaned and repacked them with grease, and popped the end seals back on. They got taken care of before they turned to toast. The LT pulleys go for around 20 bucks, and it's held on with one bolt. If your pulley is bad and beyond greasing, see if you can get one for your engine.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I've already replaced the Alternator and the Tensioner, the Assembly, so by process of elimination, haha', I see that its the Water Pump that's doing the squealin'.
Question is.. unlike the others, it seems that the Pulley is on the Pump itself, not within the Pulley..
So I would need a New Pump, right?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The pump pulley attaches to a flange on the pump. The shaft bearings are built into the pump housing. If they are bad, the pump needs to be replaced. Have you given the pump pulley a turn by hand with the belt off to see how the bearings feel and sound?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 PM

I've spun it by hand, and its not entirely smooth, but its an older car, so I didn't expect it to glide, but if I spray WD-40 behind the Pulley, it will quiet down for a bit.
But I mean, should I just go ahead and replace the Pump?
I split everything with my friend, so if the Pump is $50 New w/Free Shipping, its only gonna' cost me $25 and however much for New Coolant, which I believe I have some lying around in the Garage.
It doesn't seem too hard to replace.. what, 4 Bolts?
The only one I saw that was more expensive, was Edelbrocks, but honestly don't think I need it.

Last edited by stillettoDSM; 09-14-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 AM

I've spun it by hand, and its not entirely smooth, but its an older car, so I didn't expect it to glide, but if I spray WD-40 behind the Pulley, it will quiet down for a bit.
But I mean, should I just go ahead and replace the Pump?
I split everything with my friend, so if the Pump is $50 New w/Free Shipping, its only gonna' cost me $25 and however much for New Coolant, which I believe I have some lying around in the Garage.
It doesn't seem too hard to replace.. what, 4 Bolts?
The only one I saw that was more expensive, was Edelbrocks, but honestly don't think I need it.

Well after I just replaced that I found that it wasn't the problem, but the AC unit bearings were out, so I just bought a 82inch serpentine belt to by pass the ac unit cost me about 30 dollars. Just routed the belt as I would normally just instead running on the AC unit I ran it off the ac Idler. Fixed my problem. As I figure you know the idler is right about the ac unit on the 3.8v6s for this year of camaros. You don't want to replace the ac unit due to the fact it cost around 268.00 dollars.