93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Squealing Belts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Default Squealing Belts?

Hey everyone, New to the Forum, a buddy and I just traded a wrecked 98' Eclipse GSX for a 95' 3.4L Camaro, so things are definitely different from the "Tuner" Scene.
The Car actually drives pretty well, a few Suspension issues, but nothing too bad.
The couple things that are bad are as follow, the ABS Inop Light is on, breaking is horrible on Wet/Damp Streets, and the Belts are Squealing HORRIBLY!
I've read most of you guys replace the Idle Tensioner Pulley, so I figured I'd grab one of those anyways, but if I spray some WD-40 Directly onto the center bolt/bearing of the Alternator, the noise stops for a few seconds or two.. bad Alternator?
The Serpentine Belt itself looks brand new..
If anyone has any ideas on what might be going on, please chime in.. otherwise, I'm very interested in any Tips/Tricks, Ideas on what we should do with this Car.
Thanks a lot!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think u answered ur question. alt bearing is most likely bad. the thin oil on it will help it to come apart. have it scanned for trouble codes before u unhook the battery if u havent already, abs check the sensors at the front spindles and there conections. also the wires that lead to them. the wires and conections are prone to failing.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Any other Tips and Tricks on this Car?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Also.. I don't see too much Aftermarket Support for the 3.4L V6, and we're not even going to waste any money on an LS1 Swap, although it did cross our minds..
We basically got the Car for nothing, it's already got an Exhaust, a really loud one at that, I'm thinking Custom, and it's gonna' attract too much "Wrong" Attention, so I was thinking Magnaflow to replace it, which sounds awesome from what I've heard.
It's also got a ghetto CAI, which was improperly Installed, and bangs around in the bay.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is a bit u can do with it but the good stuff involves boaring, heads, intake and cam. not real sure of the 3.4s ability to handle boost. if the cai is one of them bolt directly to the tb trash it. the k&n style is what u want. theres some less $ ones that look and work just as good. u may have straight exhaust but its hard to say. im reading that an x pipe will make the 6 sound much better.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:00 PM

Ok, after looking at it, what Part would I actually buy to fix that Bearing? Hopefully not the Alternator itself..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Not sure if you guys "Bump" on this Forum..
..but BUMP!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

We Bump

I'd say just use her a DD. The LS1 would be quite a project, but if you're interested, Search. There are a great deal of threads on Change outs.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i guess u could rebuild the alt. its more of a hassle than its worth. u will need to take her apart and replace the bearings. the thing is u may get the bearings replaced and then a diode will go. better off getting a new one. might find a used one on the sell and trade to get u by tell better times.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Rebuilding an alternator isn't hard. And you'll have more motivation if you have more time than money. To save me a little wind, I found this handy dandy how-to: Alternator Rebuild
Also, the roller bearing(s) aren't necessarily shot if they're making noise. Chances are pretty good that they're dry though, and you can repack them with grease as long as you're careful about removing the bearing seals.

Quick Reply: Squealing Belts?