93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

security light

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default security light

I have a 98 camaro and the past 2 days the security light comes on when i stick the key in. The car wont start unless i leave the key in for a few min. Does anyone have an idea why? My brother said maybe a bad ignition because sometimes the key is hard to turn or maybe a bad key

Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
4th Gear Member

The security system is not recognizing the key. It will light the security light and then starts a 3 minute timer before it will allow the car to start. Could be the key. Make sure it is clean. If you have an ohm meter, ohm the chip to see if you see a resistor value. Last key I had made cost $25 or so at a Chevy dealership. If you have the key, your local lock smith might be able to cut you a new one. Also, if you go to chevy dealership for a key. Take the registration for your car or they will not cut one (at least thats the way they play in TN).

Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thank you ill get a new key

Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear member

The contacts inside the lock cylinder could also be worn so don't be surprised if a new key doesn't fix the problem. How many miles on the car? Do you use a heavy keychain with lots of stuff hanging on it? That will wear out a lock cylinder prematurely.

You may want to price a brand new Passkey lock cylinder/key combo at the dealership. I think they come with 2 brand new keys so you'd save some bucks there and be set for the life of the car.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Does anyone know if this can be disabled? What if you wait the three minutes and it still does not start?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes it can be disabled. I had to do this with my car. If you have a spare key with a good resister on it then yes you can disable the system. There is a plug thats either yellow or orange at the end of the steering column when you remove the plastic panel above where your legs sit. There will be two prongs on the end of the plug opposite of the steering column. take some wire and attach it to the resister on either side and attach the other ends of the wires to the prongs on the plug you unplugged. This will disable the ignition cylinders. Good luck. PM me if you have questions. It was kind of hard to explain lol

Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Overdrive Member

to truely bypass the system you have to have the BCM programed to disregard the resistor value of the key. The alarm system will still work just the passkey system will not. GM can do this for you but they do not like to, they will try to sell you a new lock and tumbler (good idea but lotsa $$$ from GM) or you can replace it yourself from a cylinder from your favorite autopart store. IF you go this route you will need to have a new key made!! Yes the new cylinder will come with a key but it will not be a passkey and it will not have the resistor. Go to your local locksmith with both keys (old and new) and have them make a key with the new pattern with the old resistor setting. This will solve the warn cylinder and keep the passkey system. This is also the least expensive way to have it done. GM will charge you around $600 for replacing the lock cylinder in your car.

Massey

Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Whoa, $600 !!! That's nuts! And the new lock cylinder won't come with resistor pellet keys? I guess that makes sense since it is the *module* that has the key resistance value programmed into it. Good info.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Overdrive Member

$600 is not too bad considering what has to be done to change the lock cylinder. I charge $100 for doing passkey cylinders and $50 for normal ones. The Saginaw column requires special tools to take apart. The only special tool you will need for the lock cylinder is the lock plate removal tool, which can be had at most any autopart store. Also BE CAREFUL with the air bag coil!!!!! You can really mess up your day if you break that part (trust me on this one I broke one). Also tie a string to the VATS wire that goes down the column so you can fish the new wires through easier (again just trust me here). Let me know if you need any help with the column I know those things like the back of my hand...(where did that scratch come from??)

Massey

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info so let me get this correct. I have to purchase a new cylinder and key from an auto parts store then have a locksmith make a new key? Does that new cylinder have to be installed or will that copy key work with the old one? Also what is the best way to tell if its the key or the cylinder that is the problem. Sorry if I am asking the wrong questions.

Quick Reply: security light