93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!! Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
my car doesnt even have an ignition key
You said it! Some people complain about their key being able to slip right out, while other unfortunate people in this world don't even have a key to call their own!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You said it! Some people complain about their key being able to slip right out, while other unfortunate people in this world don't even have a key to call their own!
My 90 cavalier had it's keys ripped out of the ignition by my wife then a few months later you could just start it with out any key in the ignition. Kinda scary but it was a secret only I knew. Then I replaced that car with the 96 Camaro and only I touch the keys and it's only got 154000 km ( 98 k miles) on it so it's still a fresh car.

Pull those plugs after you get it running rough. And look at them
In the exact order you pulled them
Out so you know what cylinder is causing the problem. If it's fouled out then you need to check the spark and make sure it's not weak. If sparks good then chances are that injector has a slight leak. If one of the 3 plugs is showing signs of being lean and the other 2 are fouled then that injector is most likely pluged up. If you want you can also have all injectors cleaned and flow tested.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Well, that was part of the problem. I couldn't get it to spit out any codes. If I had codes, obviously I wouldn't have replaced so many components on a WHIM.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM

For the record, the problem is none of those things you mentioned and (In my professional opinion) I believe you are incorrect about the Anti-theft system being the problem. As I said, when I start it, it either doesn't fire, or it runs really choppy. I can, however, (with a lot of patience) get it to crank and idle correctly if I play with it a bit. Once she starts and idles correctly...SHE's A BEAST! My final diagnosis and what I am going to replace this evening is the Ignition assembly. I will let you know how that song plays out....LOL.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Vats failure will cause the car to not start but its an on off switch Not a run real bad switch.
Originally Posted by careym
I believe you are incorrect about the Anti-theft system being the problem.

....... My final diagnosis and what I am going to replace this evening is the Ignition assembly. I will let you know how that song plays out....LOL.
I never said the Vat system was the problem. Infact I said it is not the problem. A diagnosis is when we do tests and the test shows a part fails. It would be more accurate to say your final guess, I have no clue what an ignition assembly is. Primary or secondary Ignition? Did you mean the control modual and coil packs? I was making the assumption that all routine maintenance was up to date. Plug wires are not old. That said with a good fuel pressure test 95% of the cars that come into the shop with this complaint it is either a injector or a IAC\dirty throttle body issue.

I think you are going the wrong way with the ignition system most of the time ignition system issue are worse under load and at higher RPM, Not better at higher RPMs and bad at idle. Issues that clear themselfs out at higher RPM are almost always Fuel/air mixture issue. That goes back to any gas engine, injected or carb. Of couse with any complicated electronic odd failure do happen but your in that 1/2% fluke area.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I never said the Vat system was the problem. Infact I said it is not the problem. A diagnosis is when we do tests and the test shows a part fails. It would be more accurate to say your final guess, I have no clue what an ignition assembly is. Primary or secondary Ignition? Did you mean the control modual and coil packs? I was making the assumption that all routine maintenance was up to date. Plug wires are not old. That said with a good fuel pressure test 95% of the cars that come into the shop with this complaint it is either a injector or a IAC\dirty throttle body issue.

I think you are going the wrong way with the ignition system most of the time ignition system issue are worse under load and at higher RPM, Not better at higher RPMs and bad at idle. Issues that clear themselfs out at higher RPM are almost always Fuel/air mixture issue. That goes back to any gas engine, injected or carb. Of couse with any complicated electronic odd failure do happen but your in that 1/2% fluke area.
I had ignition problems that made my car not want to run and have ruff idle and not want to start but ran great when under load. it turned out to be the plugs. For some reason 60 degree v6s dont like bousch plugs.

im confused you say in your professional opinion. If your a professional why are you asking us? and if your a professional why are you guessing becuase In my opinion means your guessing.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a proper fuel pressure test. look here, 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

I believe some refer to it as a "sense of humor." Cheer up sweetheart.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM

BTW....It was the anti-theft screwing up. I replaced the interior ignition on the steering column and had it re-keyed by the dealer. She's all better. Thanks for all the advice and, in a few circumstances...a good laugh!