93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

ROcker ARms

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ROcker ARms

High ratio aluminum rocker arms... are they worth it? Do they really give back any power? How difficult is the install? Has anybody here on the forum tried these?!? Just curious as to whether or not these should be my next upgrade... Thanks for the help any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ROcker ARms

Higher ratio rockers will provide a power increase because it will be opening the valves more. You will see a much bigger increase in power if you combine them with a new cam. Also if you use roller rockers you will free up power due to less friction

Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: AV95Z

Higher ratio rockers will provide a power increase because it will be opening the valves more. You will see a much bigger increase in power if you combine them with a new cam. Also if you use roller rockers you will free up power due to less friction
Wrong. Do not combine aftermarket high ratio rockers with an aftermarket cam, unless you want to modify your pistons, or unless the manufacturers specifically say the two are compatible.

They are a nice easy upgrade to do, since you just need to pull the valve covers. They aren't going to give you serious gains in horsepower, but they will give you more. I personally would do a cam and springs instead, but lifters are considerably easier to install.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member

I have some. Power is noticeable. Though you would get more from a cam. Install isn't too bad, very time consuming though (if you are changing valve springs with them too).

Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all the comments!! So the rocker install includes what altogether? Could an average guy do the install? As far as the valve springs.. what makes them so difficult to install? does it play with the timing cause I assume you need to take out the valves.. What kinda power increase do you see really with the rocker arms?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Overdrive Member

You will have to remove front engine lift bracket so you can remove the coil packs and ICM and "plate". Then you will remove the valve cover (driver side). For passenger side you will either need to remove the rear engine lift bracket or bend it back so you can access a valve cover bolt. Remove the valve cover. Springs are a pain, because you have to find a means of keeping the valve from falling into the cylinder and then compress them. Way to keep the valves from falling to turn the engine over til that particular piston is at the top of its stroke. This should keep them from falling all the way in. Another way is to just remove the spark plug and fill the cylinder with rope. Yet another way is to get a fitting (they have them at Oriellys) that will fit in the spark plug hole, and can hook up to an air compressor so you can press up the cylinder with air (for this to work the valves need to be shut first). The spring compressor you will need to get will need to be a somewhat small one, as you won't have a whole lot of room to work with. Rockers arms are easy since they just bolt in.

Disclaimer: This is not a complete walkthrough, just a basic idea of what to expect. Job should take about a case of beer at least.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Disclaimer: This is not a complete walkthrough, just a basic idea of what to expect. Job should take about a case of beer at least.
Or more! that rear bracket is a bear!
Hey 02StangGT what kind of mileage did you get after the rocker upgrade?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Overdrive Member

I haven't really done anything since, and Iaverage about 24-26 mpg with 50/50 highway and city. I have seen 30 but with almost all highway.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

30MPG with the upgrade or before the upgrade?,,,I will be doing all highway 110 miles a day. I have the motor out would be a real simple upgrade right now.

What type did you get?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

where would you buy these rocker arms?
I have a 2001 v6
thanks!

Quick Reply: ROcker ARms