93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Rearend Gear Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes the carrier is what makes it a posi and it sounds like summit is on the right track. yah im having my ring and pinion changed on mine and i dont want anything to do with that. now if i were to change the complete rear unit with one from a wrecking yard it doesnt take many tools, to change the whole rearend assembly. take shocks lose, stabilizer bars, sway bars, wires, brake lines and drive line and its out.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Money is mildly an issue; I have a fair amount to spend, but just the idea of a $2K price tag kinda made me mad, and I can't help but feel that he was just wanting my money instead of my repeat business.

I called more mechanics this morning - one said he didn't do that anymore, and the other said he did. He's go two to repair today, and he said he could get me in in the morning.

I'll take it to him in the morning, until then I'll just wait it out.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah 2k is too much. you can pick up a new 12 bolt for your car for 2700 and install in 20 minutes.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most likely we was not trying to rip you off. A lot of guys do not like to admit they do not want to do a given job. They like to say they can fix anything. When you hit them with a repair they do not really want to do they are going to hit you with big quote. This way they know you will not do it and they can still say they can fix anything. The 300 he quoted (I think that was the same guy) for swapping the rears is a pretty good number if that is assuming he was going to have to replace some of the brake lines and e brake cables.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Why not just say "hey, sorry, I don't specialize in that"? I don't know, honesty is really huge with me, and I don't like to be lied to.

I understand I should've had a plan before ordering this stuff, and looking back, I guess I wasn't asking the right questions to begin with (I didn't know enough about it to know I was asking the wrong questions); part of the reason I went ahead with the order was because the guy at the local shop shot me prices only for 323 and 373 (308 was never mentioned), so I never thought I may have 308 gears. Plus, the guy at Summit said this would fit in just fine with my year and make of vehicle (he asked if it was just a regular camaro or a z28, I told him it was regular). Again, having 308 just never registered with me.

Craby: I thought my car could only have a 10 bolt? This is another example of how I don't know enough about something to know if I'm asking the right questions or not, but I was under the impression that I needed a 10 bolt, 7.5 inch - and that could come in 323, 373 or 411?

Also, when it's said that 323/373 is "too big" for a 308, what exactly does that mean? Is it physically too large to fit inside the gear housing? Or are the teeth on the gears too big or something to mesh with the axle gears? I don't know... Stuff like that confuses me.

Where I'm taking my ride to in the morning, the guy asked what I wanted done - I told him the carrier, the ring and pinion, and I have the installation kit (bearings and seals) as well. He said he'd do it for $200, which (this is just me) I thought was *too* cheap. So, if he does a good job at everything, I'm definitely throwing an extra $50 at him.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats ok, gota start somewhere. do some reading here, theres lots of info in the threads and the stickies. when i first got on here i spent three days reading and learning lots of new stuff before i made a post. yep you can get 12 bolt or 9 in. built for these cars. 9 in is a bit more money though. im gona try the gear change in the stock one first to see if 373 what i want then get the 12 bolt. the carrier (part that holds the ring gear) is required to be smaller to hold a smaller gear (less than 323) so unfortunatly you will need a bigger carrier to hold a bigger ring gear.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Got everything installed; Summit sent me the wrong installation kit and the carrier didn't have ABS (does lim slip have ABS?)... I'm getting way too much money tied into one little thing.

So I'm gonna let my car sit until I get everything lined out.

This is so confusing.. Why can't it just be what I want..

Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have abs on your car so it needs a reluctor on the carrier. sorry but competely forgot about that. all 4th gen cars have 3 channel or 4 channel (traction control) abs. three channel has one sensor at the center of the rearend, 4 has a sensor at each wheel. so yes posi carrier has abs.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The carrier that came out - which is absolutely no good now) had a sprocket type thing around where the bolt pattern is. the mechanic said that was my ABS.. the new carrier didn't have it.

Was I sent the wrong carrier? I know for certain that I told them I DID want ABS.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

call summit and ask. im not sure if the reluctor is interchangable ill do a little looking to.

Quick Reply: Rearend Gear Question