93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Radiator Seems to Have NO Coolant? Why? :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Question Radiator Seems to Have NO Coolant? Why? :(

Ok, I know what you're thinking. 1.) there's a leak or 2.) fill it up!! Well, several weeks ago I had to change out the intake gaskets on my 96' 3.8l engine due to leaks and overheating issues. The shop also did a coolant flush. No more leaks and no more overheating issues. But by curiosity I've been checking my radiator coolant level first thing in the morning and it looks empty? So i took my car back to the shop so they can look at it. After pressure testing it, they found no leaks and supposedly topped it off for me.

Is this normal? Whats should I do?

Thanks Guys

Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Is the reservoir full? Is there a restriction in the hose from the reservoir to the radiator? Could be partly plugged up.

Be certain to note the color/look of your oil next time you do an oil change -- hopefully there is no leak, despite what your shop says.

While your at it, swap the thermostat too, easy cheap insurance, if you or the shop did not already. Also be sure your cooling fan(s) come on as they are supposed to and are not seized.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Yeah changed the oil out couple weeks ago with regular GTX 10-30 & Lucas oil stabilizer. Oil seems to look like the normal light caramel color. As far as the fans go, I understand the fans (high speed) turn on close to the 3rd mark on the temp. gauge?

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Is the reservoir full? Is there a restriction in the hose from the reservoir to the radiator? Could be partly plugged up.

Be certain to note the color/look of your oil next time you do an oil change -- hopefully there is no leak, despite what your shop says.

While your at it, swap the thermostat too, easy cheap insurance, if you or the shop did not already. Also be sure your cooling fan(s) come on as they are supposed to and are not seized.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it now stays full your ok. shop most likely did not bleed the air out, well with 3.8 its more of a burbing because you dont have bleeder screws. probly put it all back together and filled it and called it good. once you started it all the air in the motor moved to the radiator. now if you have to continue adding coolant something is going on.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Update: So I checked the reservoir tank hose. Is it supposed to feel flimsy? Almost gummy like? Anyways, I was squeezing it several time just to check it out anything that might be stuck. I then opened up the radiator and noticed the fluid level was flushed to the top. I'm thinking by me squeezing the hose, fluid from the reservoir tank traveled into the radiator. Normal?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

was it full before the big squeez

Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Overdrive Member

Yeah the hose is not too thick -- but if you had gunk in your system or used stop leak it could build up, so it's best to ensure there's not a hose restriction -- check under the battery too... The coolant reservoir and battery holder are one. Stupid design, I know! That front tab holding the battery broke twice in my SS! Grrr.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just to be clear how are you checking the coolant level? By the over flow level? Have you topped it off? Your 3800 should have had a bleader in the Thermostat housing.

If the coolant is low one time after a engine repair do not worry about it. Just top it off. Even twice in two weeks is not that uncommon. The system is working some trapped air out.

The real test to see if the coolant system is leaking is a pressure test. Done on a cold engine they will show hard to find leaks. After a large engine repair it is not uncommon to have a hose that needs adjusted to seal or in our case have a heater hose o-ring that is leaking. I did mine twice before they sealed. That was 3 years ago.