93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Question About Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Default Question About Code

So When I Start My 97 3.8 Camaro. I Noticed My Security Light Doesnt Go Off. I Have Tried Disconnecting The Battery For An Hour To Reset Computer, And Didnt Do Ne Thing.. Any Idea's?

Name:  CamaroTint3-3.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  18.6 KB
5% Tint. Spectre Air Intake System. Super 44 Flowmaster.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Overdrive Member

Does your keys have the chip in them still? has your VATS been bypassed? The computer that handles the security is the BCM and that does not reset with removing power. A dealer can "read" the bcm and find out what is causing the light to stay on. Also check to see if the impact sensor is still plugged in and working. It is located in the spare tire bay and it is a little black box about the size of a garage door opener.

Massey

Old 07-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Massey
Does your keys have the chip in them still? has your VATS been bypassed? The computer that handles the security is the BCM and that does not reset with removing power. A dealer can "read" the bcm and find out what is causing the light to stay on. Also check to see if the impact sensor is still plugged in and working. It is located in the spare tire bay and it is a little black box about the size of a garage door opener.

Massey

yes my key has chip in it. What Is VATS? i havent by passed anything. i just got in my car awhile ago to come home and noticed it was staying on

Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Overdrive Member

VATS stands for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. It is basicly the security system that icorporates the chipped key, ignition lockout, impact sensor, and alarm. It is controlled by the BCM. Removal of the BCM will pretty much make your car usless, you will lose your door locks, interior lights, automatic lights, keyless entry, radio security (if OEM radio is still installed), and you will not be able to start the car.

Massey

Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Massey
VATS stands for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. It is basicly the security system that icorporates the chipped key, ignition lockout, impact sensor, and alarm. It is controlled by the BCM. Removal of the BCM will pretty much make your car usless, you will lose your door locks, interior lights, automatic lights, keyless entry, radio security (if OEM radio is still installed), and you will not be able to start the car.

Massey

i see yeah, all that stuff works fine, and the car runs fine. the light just came on, on the way home and idk why lol. i guess i will check the little box in the truck, if its fine.. any idea on what a dealer might charge to check that for me?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Overdrive Member

My local dealer wants $100 for a BCM flash which will return the BCM to the origional as delivered state. I need to have that done on my Z28. So far the dealer has been really good to me and not charged me for any BCM access that I have needed. (the service writers have taken the programmer out and scanned my cars for me and not brought the car back to the shop). The programmer that GM has I think is the only one that can reprogram or read the BCM, I have not heard anything about superchips or the other programmers being able to do anything other than the engine management computer.

Massey