93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Project hit a roadblock...need some help SOON

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well like I said before, if I kept the LT1 in it, I would have a car that I couldn't drive until I'm 25. And I had my eye out for almost a year for a project car that I could drop the engine/tranny into, and the $1000 we spent for this car was WAY better than anything else we found in that price range, and it was a whopping 3 miles away.

Anyway, that's water over the bridge or under the dam or wherever it is the water goes. You alluded that "you can pull all the systems from the 95 and put it in the 96." That's kind of what I was figuring on doing. All I have to do to get a hold of the necessary parts is take two steps to my right where the other car is sitting. Any input on that would be a lot more helpful at this point.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Let see if I can help.
Some quick research shows the Brake module (under the drivers seat) changed, the dash cluster shows as a different part number. On the plus side the heater control module looks to be the same. The vats system needs swaped even if you have the same year. First thing you VATs system does is verify the computer has the right vin number.

What I do not know is if the speedo cluster was a cosmedic change or electrical based changes. Also since I am not sure what changed in the ABS module I do not know how far you will have to go. It looks like the control valve is the same part number but I am not sure about the harnesses.

Vats will be the biggest problem cause to is tied to the ignition cyclinder in the colum. If you switch out the whole colum I am not sure what extra work that can cause or you can disassemble the colum and replace just the cylinder. For someone who has never done a colum before they can be a pain.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I found an article online detailing how to disable the VATS. Shady as heck, but I think it will be a better option than trying to change the column. I'm assuming the brake module you were talking about is under the car, since I had pretty much the entire interior out and didn't see anything like that under the driver's seat. And the ABS module looks the same from one car to the other, but like I said, if I have to switch them, I don't have to look too hard.

I'll have a better idea too what I'm looking at this weekend, since that's about the only time I can get around to working on it. If I come across anything, it'll be up here

So back to the K-member for now. Do I have to mess with the steering to get that out? I asked before, but nobody answered that part. (Again, I'll have a better idea when I can get back to working on it this weekend.)

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Its the whole front suspension
Name:  Pulled_out.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I need to swap the entire front suspension? Not just the K-member itself? I was hoping to stay with the better Z28 suspension...there's another thread in here I found that talks about a swap (albeit the other way).

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/95-3-4-v-6-build-swap-40608/

Look @ #6. That guy says that the front suspension shouldn't need to be switched. As long as I have the K-member I'm "fine."

[And where do you find pics and stuff like that? For the life of me I couldn't find a good pic like the one you pulled up. 95% of google image search is stuff for sale]

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I found that pic in my phone. thats my car You can use all the parts from your Z28. but they all bolt to the K-member. You can just switch (the 1 hour i was talking about) or you can strip the K member down and switch over all the parts. I am guessing the sway bar and the rack would be the main things you would want to switch. i am not sure but I would think if you use the Z28 struts and spings it would lift the front of the car up.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Huh...didn't think about that last part...I was kind of thinking about upgrading suspension down the road anyway, but that's probably a way down the road (like once I get some kind of income). Which would be easier, removing the rack and struts/springs and all that good stuff, or just switching over? If I can get away with it, I would like to keep as much Z28 stuff in the car as I can. Plus I want to try and sell the car I wrecked as a rolling chassis with the suspension, brakes, steering, and rear end. I figure I can get a lot more for that than just junking it. (pardon the digression)

Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
Huh...didn't think about that last part...I was kind of thinking about upgrading suspension down the road anyway, but that's probably a way down the road (like once I get some kind of income). Which would be easier, removing the rack and struts/springs and all that good stuff, or just switching over? If I can get away with it, I would like to keep as much Z28 stuff in the car as I can. Plus I want to try and sell the car I wrecked as a rolling chassis with the suspension, brakes, steering, and rear end. I figure I can get a lot more for that than just junking it. (pardon the digression)
I am not sure of the question. If you want the Z28 stuff you need pull both K-members put the parts (Rack, sway bar, brakes?) on the 95 K-member install that in the 96 so you can bolt your motor us. You do not have to chance anything just what you want. If you want the 95 car to be a roller you will want to install all the unwanted parts on the 96 K member and install back on that car,,, I think you are going to find the 95 will be worth more in parts. You could sell someone everything they need to do a V-6 to V-8 convertion if you keep all the parts. IMO that is worth more then a wrecked roller. after that sell all the pc parts that are not damaged. Doors, fenders, etc.

As for the ABS system go to page 763 of the GM parts manual item 13
Also page 887 has a good pick of the K-member Item 33.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.