93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Project hit a roadblock...need some help SOON

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
On-Board-Diagnostics -- emissions & engine diagnostics related computer system. 95 Camaros has OBD I, 96 had OBD II, some 95s used and OBD II connector but is still an OBD I system.
Where on the car is that system located?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Overdrive Member

Well, the plug is under the dash under the steering wheel -- I'm not certain where the computer module(s) are...

Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is it separate from the module that's behind the passenger side strut tower up by the cowl?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok, well nvm about this for now. The engine mounting stuff is more important as of right now. Could we weld the base of the mount to the k-member?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You never did the research? I told you to just search OBD2. OBD2 is not just one part of the system. You should think of it as a network. All the systems in a OBD2 are networked together for the first time. Your engine control modual is the main server. On an OBD2 system you can talk to all the sub systems in the car. 95 is a tuff year because that was the year before the switch over. It's kind of a hybred of OBD1 and OBD2. How close it is to the real OBD2 depends on how late in the year it was built. I think the second half of the year is different from the first half.

When you turn on your car all your systems will try to connect to the OBD2 controler. Your dash will light up like a Xmas tree with warnings. Your VATs system will assume someone is stealing the car and it will not start. Unless you have a controls engineer waiting to help you out you are in over your head.

Here is a test go up to any GM mechanic and tell them you want to put a 95 computer in a 96 car and just see the look on their face. Same guy tell them you want to put a 97 computer in a 96 they will say No problem cash or charge.

BTW why not just switch frames? Its 6 bolts plus the upper strut mounts. Without a motor in it it could not take much more then an hour with one guy.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You never did the research? I told you to just search OBD2. OBD2 is not just one part of the system. You should think of it as a network. All the systems in a OBD2 are networked together for the first time. Your engine control modual is the main server. On an OBD2 system you can talk to all the sub systems in the car. 95 is a tuff year because that was the year before the switch over. It's kind of a hybred of OBD1 and OBD2. How close it is to the real OBD2 depends on how late in the year it was built. I think the second half of the year is different from the first half.

When you turn on your car all your systems will try to connect to the OBD2 controler. Your dash will light up like a Xmas tree with warnings. Your VATs system will assume someone is stealing the car and it will not start. Unless you have a controls engineer waiting to help you out you are in over your head.

Here is a test go up to any GM mechanic and tell them you want to put a 95 computer in a 96 car and just see the look on their face. Same guy tell them you want to put a 97 computer in a 96 they will say No problem cash or charge.

BTW why not just switch frames? Its 6 bolts plus the upper strut mounts. Without a motor in it it could not take much more then an hour with one guy.
The beauty of a 95 was that it USED the OBD2 connector. THey called it OBD1.5. It's an OBD1 system with an OBD2 connector. Switch the K member and the motor will fit just fine. Switch out the computer and harness and all that fun **** and go on your merry way.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OK I'll switch the K-members. Do you have to do anything with the rack and pinion to get that out? I didn't think it looked like it, but I would like to know for sure.

I did the research, and 95 F-bodies did have the OBD1.5 system. The computer and harness aren't going to be a problem at all, but is that all that needs to be switched? Evilkal, the way you talked, it sort of sounded like it, but it didn't sound like that's what Gorn said.

P.S.: Gorn, thanks for the input, but you need to lighten up a little bit

Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Overdrive Member
Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
haha good ol' wikipedia. Exactly the page I was already looking at.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The connector you guys are talking about is the connector so you can hook a scanner to. Its the same shape as the OBD2. It does not mean the rest of the system is plug and play. I am talking about how the computer talks to the Vats system and all the other systems in the car. Yes you can pull all the systems from the 95 and put it in the 96. But to make the 95 computer work with the 96 OBD2 system will be a night mare. You will need to be very carful just pugging things in. If one wire changed you could fry the whole system. sorry if I sound frustrated I have been trying to get this point across for the last few weeks. I can see now you are not going to listen to me until you get everything plugged in and it will not start. And no I am not 100% sure what would work and what would not. You could start with a parts manual and see what controlers changed part numbers between 95-96. This is all stuff you should have done before you turned the first wrench. This is also the reason I told you fixing the LT1 was easier then the swap.

Quick Reply: Project hit a roadblock...need some help SOON