93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

problems while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Default problems while accelerating

Hi, does anyone know what can be wrong with my car?
sometimes out of a sudden the engine ceases to accelerate and does not respond to accelerator pedal, however slows down only very slowly. By contrast, while pressing the pedal the revolutions of the engine quickly fall down. The more you press the pedal the slower the car goes. When not pressing the pedal the car is able to hold its current speed.

When this issue happens at slow speeds, it is possible to "drive at idle" (sorry for my bad english) at approx 5 mph, however it is not possible to accelerate. However, when pressing the pedal very gently, the car slowly gains speed. When pressing the pedal much, the car quickly loses revolutions and sometimes the engine stops completely. Sometimes when pressing the pedal for a long time, I hear a heavy sound from behind and it seems that something "exploded" - then the car is ok.

Other times, it is enough to stop the engine and wait for a few minutes - then everything is ok and the car goes without problems for 1-500 miles.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: problems while accelerating

Year, auto or manual?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 PM

oh, i forgot..

V6 3,4 1994 manual

Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Overdrive Member

To me it sounds like a transmission problem. Engine seem like it's running normal? Service Engine Soon light on?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM

SES light no..

no, engine is not running normal as I see it (and I am a complete layman) - the problem that sometimes happens reminds of a situation when you run out of gas - just just can not accelerate anymore and the car slowly decelerates.. but then out of a sudden it works perfectly again. some people proposed fuel pump problems- could this be the cause? or would it switch the SES light on in case the fuel pump does not work well?

what kind of transmission problems do you mean?

BTW thanks for your answer

Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Fuel pump was the other thing I had in mind. I just checked my Hayne's manual and fuel pump can cause light to come on. May not be for you. I only suggested transmission as I didn't know if engine was running normal or not. Fuel pump sounds likely though. Don't take my word for it though. Hopefully some more people will chime in...

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

my problem is that this issues occure only sometimes - thus it is not possible to take the car to the shop and show the car mechanics what problems I have. when I tried that, the car just worked perfectly for tens of miles...

thanks for all comments!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah, I hate when that happens.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 AM

any other suggestions people? i am really desperate...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear member

well i really have very little mechanical expertise in this area, but perhaps a fuel pressure regulator? perhaps by pushing in the pedal while you are experiencing that you are flooding the engine and causing it to die??? just a thought, and did 3.4s have an an maf?

Quick Reply: problems while accelerating