93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Premature front tire wear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would still measure it when you can. And I wouldn't trust the thread count way. That's fine as long as you're doing an r&r with the same tie rod. But there's no guarantee the replacement end is the exact same length as the old one, especially if it's a different brand. I've used a threaded rod cut down a little shorter than what fits between the sidewalls of the tires, and then put on one of those threaded couplers (about 1.5" long) on one end. You can thread the coupler in or out and use it as a feeler gauge to give yourself a little bit of snug in front. It's more accurate than a tape measure.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

^^

Correct!!

They never are the same length so thread counting is just to get it close for whoever is going to align the vehicle afterwards.... Thats why I said it would be wise to align it now.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

....after the car gets un-impounded, whatever that's about.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I measured the tie rods. They were the exact same length. I was smart about it lol. And yeah it's definitely impounded

Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
They were the exact same length.
LOL there are not two tie rods in the whole world that are EXACT same length. I measure stuff with light bands, Micons are miles long to me

Joking a side you still should to get it aligned. Where the thread pitch starts and the placment of the center of the joint relative to the threads will vary. I always counted threads when replacing tie rods just to speed things up and even using GM parts I always had to make an adjustment on the rack.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM

I am curious after reading this thread on the topic of alignment that in my 97 z28 owners manual it says that an alignment isn't necessary as it is set by the factory and unless there is front end damage it shouldn't need servicing. This seems a little weird to me. A subsequent question and pardon my ignorance is what's the difference between a two wheel and four wheel alignment and which would be recommended for a camaro?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With a fixed axle car (like a 4th gen Camaro) rear wheel drive (RWD) two wheel alignment is all that is possible unless the is a frame machine involved. Since most Front wheel drive (FWD) cars do not have a fixed axle you can make adjustment in all four wheels. Some FWD cars have adjustment in the back just like the front others require shims be installed to make adjustments.

Your car is aligned at the factory. If you do not hit anything or have any parts fail that will last a long time. As a car ages the springs start to sage and it get lower that will effect the alignment. If you have not had any issues and your tire wear is even and the car goes straight down the road you most likely good.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It depends on how you interpret "damage". Hitting a pothole or a curb, and tweaking the alignment is damage. Worn parts that throws off alignment is damage. If you don't buy into that, your tires will eventually convince you what damage it can do. Your Camaro has a solid rear axle, and no separate rear wheel adjustments. Cars with independent rear suspension, like on my Vette, are a different animal.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM

I appreciate the response, a lot of good information. I became interested in the subject when i bought new z rated michelins two months ago. The car goes straight but it has 130k on it and to me it seems logical to have it aligned but i wanted to have an idea of what the process entails.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

UM... How did your car get impounded? What did you do?
PM or call me if you dont want everyone here to know.

Massey

Quick Reply: Premature front tire wear.