93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Pacesetter Headers, camaro now slower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Pacesetter Headers, camaro now slower?

huh? so i got my Pacesetter headers on finally, and working. but i noticed that ive gotten a lot LESS power, now the rest of my exhaust is pretty much stock, so should i replace the rest of the exhaust and finish it? or should i focus some intake modification?
other than that should i do anything else? that might be causing my low performance?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the install is correct there should no reason to lose power. If you exhaust is restricting the flow the headers may not add much but they should not take away anything. Did you get everything back together right? New O2 sensors?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure the wire for the knock sensor is on correct and is not damaged. unplug it and check then when you plug it back in make sure its in all the way. double tripple check to make sure the plug wires are in the right place. are you sure you didnt break or crack one of the plugs while installing headers.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well mostly my uncle who did most of the stuff installed the headers, i helped take them off. probably a loosened O2 sensor...but i didnt get a check engine light from it. but also i didnt get new O2 sensors, i used the old ones, they seemed fine before the headers, possibly somethings loose or maybe my EGR is still leaking in some areas.
Im pretty sure you know this Gorn from a previous thread, i did use a sealant to stop the leak. if the EGR leaks, could that be a cause for my loss of power?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Overdrive Member

How many mi. on the car? O2 sensor could be intermittent or non-optimal, given that it's a '97...
I would also start considering upgrades to the rest of the exhaust to compliment your headers.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Curt705900
well mostly my uncle who did most of the stuff installed the headers, i helped take them off. probably a loosened O2 sensor...but i didnt get a check engine light from it. but also i didnt get new O2 sensors, i used the old ones, they seemed fine before the headers, possibly somethings loose or maybe my EGR is still leaking in some areas.
Im pretty sure you know this Gorn from a previous thread, i did use a sealant to stop the leak. if the EGR leaks, could that be a cause for my loss of power?

I do not think a exhaust leak that small could cause a noticable change in HP. If you had a vacuum leak at the EGR vavle that could and would cause a drop in power.

I don't know if it true but I have been told that the stuff the factory puts on the header to keep them from rusting can damage an O2 sensor or in your case push an older one over the edge. I have been told by a couple of guys I respect to install the old O2 sensors in new headers until the car has had one test drive then swap in the new sensors.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

where is you feel the power loss? the gain in switching to headers will only be felt in the mid and upper range of the rpm, and can take away a small bit of bottom end power

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Interesting tip, thanks! The stuff you mentioned is just oil or grease -- but I could see this might be possible...

Originally Posted by Gorn
I don't know if it true but I have been told that the stuff the factory puts on the header to keep them from rusting can damage an O2 sensor or in your case push an older one over the edge. I have been told by a couple of guys I respect to install the old O2 sensors in new headers until the car has had one test drive then swap in the new sensors.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Perhaps ya should have went for FFF's Long Tube Headers for potentially more power in lower RPMs -- If that's where you are feeling power missing...

Originally Posted by Curt705900
huh? so i got my Pacesetter headers on finally, and working. but i noticed that ive gotten a lot LESS power, now the rest of my exhaust is pretty much stock, so should i replace the rest of the exhaust and finish it? or should i focus some intake modification?
other than that should i do anything else? that might be causing my low performance?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
where is you feel the power loss? the gain in switching to headers will only be felt in the mid and upper range of the rpm, and can take away a small bit of bottom end power
As bad as those stock manifolds are I would surpised if a dyno showed any downside no less enough for a driver to feel it. I would agree with you if it was an 02. He's got something else going on.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Headers, camaro now slower?