93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

p1518 Error... TAC and APP

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default p1518 Error... TAC and APP

Every few starts, I get en error thrown on my 2002 V-6 3.8
Not only does the CEL come on, but also the "reduced engine power" light comes on, and I get NO throttle response. To clear it, I usually just shut it off, and restart the camaro a few times. Everywhere I have seen points to the TAC (throttle Actuator). I am not sure where this is. Does any one have any information on this or the APP (accelerator petal position). I just want to have this issue narrowed down as much as I can before taking it in.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: p1518 Error... TAC and APP

The throttle actuator is on the driver side of the the throttle body (looks like a black plate). I believe you actually have to replace the whole throttle body, not sure if the actuator can come off. If you need a replacement a member named Gorn is selling one he got from areplacement engine. Check through the pages of the For Sale/Trade section for his post if you like. When this code comes on, are you pushing the accelerator pedal?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: p1518 Error... TAC and APP

This is from ALLDATA & may be of help. Low battery voltage will set a false code.

P1518

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The throttle actuator control (TAC) module and the powertrain control module (PCM) communicate via a dedicated serial data circuit. This serial data circuit is separate from any other serial data circuit on the vehicle. Accurate transmitting and receiving of serial data requires not only good circuit integrity but also adequate system voltage. This diagnostic monitors the accuracy of the serial data transmitted between the TAC module and the PCM. if the PCM of the TAC module detects a loss of data or invalid data, this DTC sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
Invalid or missing serial data messages are detected for a predetermined period of time.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS[*]ThePCMilluminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.[*]ThePCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
[ul][/ul]
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC[*]ThePCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.[*]A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.[*]A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.[*]Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
[ul][/ul]
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect for the following:

IMPORTANT: DTC P1518 sets if the battery voltage is low or the PCM is replaced or reflashed. If the customer's concern is slow cranking, or if the engine is not cranking because the battery voltage is low, ignore DTC P1518. Clear any DTCs from memory that may have set from the low battery voltage condition.