93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

over heating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009 | 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
u can run a hot wire to the fans and put a switch on the dash somewhere to turn it on. they make kits for doing it somewhere. cant remember were though. if u want to keep looking then back track the wireing and test for juice. need to find out were the power makes it to. i think if u short the temp sensor it maxes the temp and the fans should come on.
SLP makes a harness for this, but its around $70. All you need to do is splice into a wire near the connector on the passenger shock tower - the green and blue wires on the inboard most connector. When grounded, these will turn the fans on. One controls low speed and the other high, although I can't remember which is which.

Do you have any mud in the system? Mine had a lot of the stuff and had problems staying cool - i ended up running radiator super cleaner (not just the flush, the heavy duty stuff) through the car three times until finally the drainage was relatively clear, and I refilled the car with universal 5-year coolant from the parts store. Never had a cooling problem since and it actually cools very well...when the fans kick on the needle will immediately drop, even in hot weather.

Also check the air scoop under your front bumper that directs air into your radiator. When I had mine off the car had a lot of trouble staying cool.

Old 08-21-2009 | 04:16 AM
|

yea, i was going to try flushing it again. a couple of days before all this started to happen the plastic piece on the front started to come off so i just got sick of trying to keep it up from dragging on the ground so i just cut it off. but one of the air scoops fell off when i was pulling into my drive way. i am going to look everything over under neath the front end tomorrow and see if there maybe anything. i will try to re attach the other scoop and see if that helps at all also.

Old 08-23-2009 | 09:43 PM
|

i changed the water pump today and put in the super radiator cleaner and filled it with water. i let it run for a bit and it was still getting hot so i turned the heat on to get the temp down and the heat wouldnt work. it would just push out cool air. after like ten minutes of letting it run i had to turn the car off before it overheated. i have no idea on what is making it do this.

Old 08-23-2009 | 10:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well i would say some of the gunk moved to the heater core or its got a air lock. try bleeding air out with the car on a steep hill with the front of the car up. might try flushing the core out. may have to replace. i would not be surprised if someone had used stopleak in it at some point in its life. how are the hoses? make sure the suction side is not collapsing.

Old 08-24-2009 | 12:03 AM
|

i tried to bleed it. i did it like 5 times and there still wasn't any water coming out and the car was getting to hot to keep doing it so i am going to wait till tomorrow to keep bleeding it but when i would turn my car off i could hear the radiator and a hose make a chugging noise. but once i bleed it the noise would stop.

Old 08-24-2009 | 12:47 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok when u bleed it first fill the radiator to the point that its full but not draining back into the overflow hole. open the bleeder at the thermostat and when u see coolant close then do the one under the tb if u have one there. then open the one by the alt if u have one there, i didnt get any fluid out of this one untill the motor was running. refill the radiator as before. then start the car with the cap off. the water level may drop so fill as it does. after it quits dropping put the cap back on and open the bleeders one at a time again to let the air out. as i said do it with the front of the car on the up side of a hill or driveway. then take the car for a drive a block or two down the road and back and bleed and refill one more time.

Old 08-24-2009 | 05:49 AM
2nd Gear member

My lumina I used to have would run hot but the coolant level looked good but, it needed bled. Thats all it was. Try bleeding it. Also to the other guy, if you have "mud" on your cap, are you sure its mud and not oil. When oil get on the cap, it looks like a grey muddy substance. You may have a small crack in the gasket or head.

Old 08-25-2009 | 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

oil in the antifreeze looks more like big freakin worms hahaha my ex had a neon that she fried the motor and the oil got in the antifreeze... never seen anything like it and I sure aint gonna forget it.

I had the same issue with my 2000 v6... make sure you use an antifreeze mix (instead of water), make sure you bleed the system good (very important), make sure you keep fluid levels up. mine drove from mississippi to tx without a problem... first time I idled for longer than a minute it overheated bad... haven't had a problem since I figure out the bleeding thing and filled it back up.

Old 08-26-2009 | 11:04 PM
|

i'm not sure what else to do. i flushed it again and bleed it really good and its still wanting to overheat. i think im going to have to take it somewhere and have them look at and see what all needs to be done.

Old 08-27-2009 | 01:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

list what u have done.

Quick Reply: over heating problem?