flushed the cooling system twice
replaced the thremostat
replaced the temp sensor and throttle positioning sensor
replaced the water pump
bleed the cooling system after refilling it each time

Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

didnt u replace the relays to. if so then i am stumped to...

Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 PM

ohh yea i did replace the relays too. they only thing i can think of that could be wrong is that the radiator is bad or the head gasket is bad or the head is cracked, but the car isnt smoking at all so im hoping for the radiator to be bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah that could be it. head gasket most times causes a loss of coolant. in the oil most times. on a rare ocation in the coolant.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 PM

idk my 97 camaro had the same excact problem and al i did after replacing the thermostat and waterpump, and flushign it many times.. i finnaly replaced the radiator.. and now its back to normal...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jproud27
replaced the thremostat
replaced the water pump
Look in your radiator - does it look muddy or clean? Did you ever reinstall the air scoop under the bumper? Fans working?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM

it looks pretty clean now, but my air dam fell off a while ago, and i didnt realize it. Does anyone know where i can find one on the web for a reasonable price?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Try a salvage yard.. I can't imagine they would be in high demand...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

I checked all the salvage yards around my area and i couldnt find one and i didnt feel like spending like 70 dollars on one off ebay so i just fabricated one out of plexi glass, hopefully it works

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jproud27
replaced the thremostat
replaced the water pump
I had the same problem with my 97 rs 3.8, I kept refilling and bleeding the system and it would be good for a couple of days but would always comeback low but with no visible leaks.

Well after about a month a leak developed from the front of the intake manifold bad lower intake gasket, well..top of the motor needed to come off, and while the job was being done my mechanic found that the assembly that the heater core hoses flow through was clogged due to gelled dexcool and some radiator stop leak (previous owner?)

There are two tight 90 degree bends in there that the water flows through and are small in diameter and one is a small plastic tube that runs into the front of the lower intake manifold the other is just below the heater tubes and enters right next to the water pump.

This assembly has the belt tensioner mounted on it and it is all one piece tensioner and is all one piece, it was clogged and need to be replaced because the plastic tube broke ($90 in case you are wondering). So we think the clog in this piece caused the gasket to go.

New gasket and tensioner/water jacket thing?? fixed it....for a while but now the engine went I am not sure if they are related, because I am dong the engine swap now and have not torn down the bad motor.

If you are lucky maybe you can get that piece off without breaking it and clean it out, also check that plastic tube for leaks.

Good luck

Quick Reply: over heating problem?