93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil Leak/ Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Default Oil Leak/ Over Heating

I drive a 97 RS Camaro. I just recently got it from my dad who bought it from the first owner. About a month and a half ago my girlfriend did an oil change on it for me. Before she did the oil change my car leaked a little bit, now after a month and a half it leaks bad[:@]. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Now it also over heats only when its sitting a long red light or in a drive threw....we did a coolant change but it still over heats[:@]. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks,
Ashley

Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Oil Leak/ Over Heating

Do you know where the oil is leaking from? Maybe she just didn't tighten the drain plug enough. Also, by overheats, do you mean it goes all the way to the red, or just over half? If it's the latter, then everything is fine, just so long as it cools down while the vehicle is in motion.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

no the drain plug is tight she said that there is a small pebble size hole, but she also said that she read some where that it was supposed to be there....about the over heating it only cools down when i turn on the ac....sometimes when the car is movin but it really depends on what its like outside

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Is there oil coming from this hole? Where's it at? The car cools with A/C on since the radiator fans kick on when you turn on the A/C. Did you change the thermostat when you changed the coolant?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 PM

i dont know exactly where the hole is i think its on the oil pan....but like a said not sure....i will check it out tomorrow and let you know....but no we did not reset it because we dont know how...by the way thanks for all the help your giving it really helps....

Ashley

Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Sorry I forgot to say yes the oil is coming from the hole.....I took it to a guy about 3 weeks ago because something just wasnt right with my front end he looked at everything a lied about the front end....we asked about the wholeand he said it was supposed to be there but now I am not sure if I believe what he said about that, he couldnt even tell me that my front shock was out of its mount...so yea

Thanks Again,
Ashley

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Overdrive Member

There should be no oil leaking anywhere. To change the thermostat is very simple. If you're not sure where it is, just follow the top radiator hose to theengine. There are two bolts holdingyou need to undo, remove the hose, then remove thermostat, install new one plus gasket/seal, and put everything back together.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM

Ok so now that I know there should be no oil leaking from anywhere...what about the hole? Is that supposed to be there? As far as changing the thermostat I think I can do it....Is it pretty easy?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

The only hole there should be in your oil pan is for your drain plug. I can imagine that was what he was talking about. Now back to the begining, your girlfriend changed your oil for you? Does she also beat people up for you? Dude, never,never,never say your girl changed you oil for you, its like admiting you have a Hanna Montana CD. One more question... WHY?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member

I don't think Ashley is a dude...

Like Chappie said, oil hole in the pan should be the drain hole. Thermostat is easy as pie. Click below, if I didn't explain in detail enough.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/powerstat.html

Quick Reply: Oil Leak/ Over Heating