93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oh My! Got my codes read....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Oh My! Got my codes read....

So I am just back from auto zone. Wanted to get my codes read before I invest into new plugs and wires just to make sure that is what I need. The reason I didn't do this earlier is because my SES light never came on. Aparantly that is broken too, because with the codes that I've got it should have been lit at all times.

So here it goes:
P0102: MAF sensor
P0175: Running rich
P0300: Random misfire detected
P1280: Transmission component slippage
then another
P1280 (but with weir symbols in the corner).

So yea, changing out plugs shouldn't hurt but now I am wondering will it improve anything? The misifre might be a result of a bad MAF sensor too, right? That could also cause the engine to run rich. So I will need to check that, but I don't know how.

Then I have the damn transmission problem. I think that is the most likely cause for the shaking and shuddering I was whinning about earlier but I have no idea what will be required to fix it. I just checked my transmission fluid level and it is good.

Any help on where should I start approaching this? I am actually thinking that it would be cheaper to take it to a mechanic to fix everything at once than to go through different possible interpretations for the causes of the codes with trial and error, and waste money on replacing perfectly fine parts. [:'(]

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Oh My! Got my codes read....

Looking at your avatar, I am assuming you have 3.8 motor. I would change the MAF sensor first. They are known to go bad. Easy to swap out. Here is a picture showing location.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
4th Gear Member

its not so bad you just need a maf and tranny lol.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Droid

You can pull the wiring connector off the MAF sensor & disable it. The engine will now run under the control of the MAP sensor (speed density mode). If it runs better with the MAF disabled you can assume the MAF is bad or dirty.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

You can pull the wiring connector off the MAF sensor & disable it. The engine will now run under the control of the MAP sensor (speed density mode). If it runs better with the MAF disabled you can assume the MAF is bad or dirty.
Word. Alot of people are unaware of this.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 AM
2nd Gear member

anyone have a new EGR valve they wanna sell?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

After I do that what should I be looking for in terms of engine performance? Just overall torque, or gas milage, or emissions?

And what about my transmission problem. The liquid appeared brown when i checked it. Should I bother replacing it, or is my entire tranny doomed already?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Unplugging the MAF may run just the slightest bit different. Should be close to normal.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i got hte same code u did.. p0300. and my problem was the EGR valve.

hey armynatguard18 i just replaced mine. my old one isnt good but i bought a used one for 80 bucks. not bad compared to the new onew that cost a lil ove 200..pm me if u need one might be able to hook u up

Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: maroman209

i got hte same code u did.. p0300. and my problem was the EGR valve.

hey armynatguard18 i just replaced mine. my old one isnt good but i bought a used one for 80 bucks. not bad compared to the new onew that cost a lil ove 200..pm me if u need one might be able to hook u up
What exaclty is an EGR valve, and where is it located?

EDIT: never mind, i found it in the diagram above.

Quick Reply: Oh My! Got my codes read....