93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

O2 sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well around here the scanners read and clear codes and thats it, i picked up all 3 for like $150 and replaced them and it made a noticable difference, and i just bought that HPtuners setup to read and graph everything on the car. its quite amazing. and my MAF sensor is kinda bent so im going to replace that next week when i get my MSD coils and wires in and as far as plugs go, everyone swears on ACDelco iridium but i got the Bosch dual platnum plugs and the work better than the iridiums. anything else along these lines to get a little bit more pep out of the car?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear member

A new PCV valve, use throttlebody cleaner or seafoam to clean out the intake. Change the rear differential gear oil (if needed), check the U-joints and replace if needed.

As for iridium vs platinum, you engine was designed and specifies for iridium.

Q. What makes Iridium better?
A. Until recently, platinum was considered the best material to use on the top of an electrode because of its durability. However, Iridium is 6 times harder, 8 times stronger, and has a melting point 1200 degrees higher than platinum. Put that into a harsh environment such as an engine piston chamber, and you have a spark plug that can resist wear much better than platinum. Additionally, the DENSO Iridium Power alloy is so durable; it allowed our engineers to produce the world’s smallest center electrode (.4mm) which reduces the voltage requirements, concentrating its sparking power. Also, its smaller size, combined with the tapered U-Groove ground electrode, allows more room for the flame kernel to develop and produce a more efficient combustion.

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Overdrive Member

I like how the GM tech bulletin keeps saying a dropped sensor is a bad sensor. I think I read that 4 or 5 times.

Different scanners are capable of different things and most part stores wont let their guys stay out and fiddle with the code reader long enough to really pull the live data from the engine. Hell most of the guys behind the counter dont know how to get the machine to read live data even if the one they have can. Also you have to think the part store has to pay for their own scanner and they use it as a tool to help sell parts. They dont want to spend alot on the scanner, just enough to get codes and help people know what they need for their cars.

Massey

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i pulled the intake manifold and throttle body off and ported it really good then ran seafoam thru the intake and oil to clean it out really good, i will look into replacing to PCV valve thanks... also i heard the EGR valve gets clogged up and if you put a new one on it will help out alot. i have 116k on the factory one. and i had a guy give me a 160 degree thermostat, is it worth the trouble to replace it it has the stock 195 in it but i just dont know if it will make a difference or not. i know a cooler motor gets better gas millage and common sense tells me it will improve power but how much?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Keep the 195 thermostat or replace it with another 195, otherwisr your car will always keep the thermostat open trying to cool it to 160 which is difficult in the summer. If you want a cool throttle body, bypass the coolant lines going to the throttlebody. I did the same to my intake and throttle body, should make a difference on getting cleaner air in the engine. As for the EGR, if it's not clogged or throwing a code then leave it. A bad EGR will make soot out of your exhaust and the car will not run smooth. Change it if you need to of course.