93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

not so common upgrade ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default not so common upgrade ?'s

i have a 98' 3.8 and i have a couple questions for upgrades... not like evrybody else asks though!

First of all, i have MSD coils and 8.5mm plug wires. what is the best spark plugs to put in it to gain power(i heard as much as 10HP from E3 or denso)

can you change the MAF sensor and will it be a notible change? if so what is required to do this?

i also heard you can remove the metal screen off the front of the Intake Manifold for a slight throttle response improvement

what is a good mild cam for it and what all is required to run it?

and is an LS1 edit a good tune for this car, what is a good tuning software (i heard HP tuners is about the best)

Old 11-08-2010, 01:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you want improved performance from spark plugs then first index them. A google search will show you what i mean. MAF swap i hear are a waste of money.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by texas_RS
i also heard you can remove the metal screen off the front of the Intake Manifold for a slight throttle response improvement
are you talking about the mass air flow sensor if so your car will run like sht and prob wont go above 30mph or so

plugs are plugs i dont think a spark will show 10 hp id go with oem on that

the maf swap is a joke power to money ratio is ridiculous

not to familiar with cams or tunes

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

CARNAGE: i found dyno results online about 30 minutes ago showing E3 plugs in a 3.8 firebird gave an 8HP gain but they burn alot hotter... and thanks i might try that.

BASIC: there is a metal mesh looking screen on the front of it right in front of my MAF, i was told to remove that but i wanted to ask first. AND i ve heard that about MAF i was just wondering.

sorry everybody, im new to this. ive only had the camaro 3-1/2 weeks. im coming from the import world(THE RARE ONE, THE ONE OF GOOD TASTE) 2000 mazda protege 1.6L with 131HP at the wheel. 3 years and lots of money LMAO NO FART CAN. 3 inch header back to a glasspack to a flowmaster 40 series...

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

and how do you go about cleaning and polishing the throttle body???

Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Omg dude another import tuner without a fart can, Respect+ 50000000000000
And as far as spark plugs go, no thats just not gonna happen, Super true with a stock motor and im guessing the most you would see THE MOST would be like 1-2. but they may last longer and give you a better burn leading to other mods making more power. Oh and btw i ran densos in my h22a (pure jdm) and they were great. As far as that intake filter i wouldnt do that, its there for a reason. Each maf is custom tailored to a specific car, if you change it or tear it up your fed.

TB cleaning and polishing
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...ttle-body.html

And comp cams, I like skunk 2 and jun and such for imports, but its all comp for muscle.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Here is my .02 on this:

i have a 98' 3.8 and i have a couple questions for upgrades... not like evrybody else asks though!

First of all, i have MSD coils and 8.5mm plug wires. what is the best spark plugs to put in it to gain power(i heard as much as 10HP from E3 or denso)
Spark plugs wont really give you giant gains like 10HP but you can get efficency gains of 2-3 MPG with plugs. E3= junk in cars. Great in lawnmowers. Iridium plugs are great with the sharp point of the center electrode and help provide a cleaner burn. High output high frequency coils will help you gain HP if you do more than just add them to the engine. Cam, intake, exhaust, tune and all that will benifit from better coils.

can you change the MAF sensor and will it be a notible change? if so what is required to do this? i also heard you can remove the metal screen off the front of the Intake Manifold for a slight throttle response improvement
DO NOT DO THIS!!!! There is no gains to be had doing this only problems if you get anything on the MAF sensor itself. That screen is to protect the MAF sensor and also to act as a wind tunnel and direct the airflow to properly pass over the sensor. Removing the screen will cause MAF issues.

what is a good mild cam for it and what all is required to run it?
This is a good option for HP gains but there is more to a cam than just installing a cam and running. You should address the valves, ports, exhaust and intake flow as well. After that is done then a Dyno tune is REQUIRED! to get the engine to run properly.

and is an LS1 edit a good tune for this car, what is a good tuning software (i heard HP tuners is about the best)

You dont have an LS1 engine... your computer is not even designed for the LS1. If you try to put the V8 timing, fuel mapping, and flow characteristics in a V6 engine you are going to be lucky to even get the engine started. You more than likely will not even be able to load the software. You have a V6, get a dyno to tune your V6 to properly optimise your mods. Most Dyno shops in my area will charge about $300-$500 to tune an engine.

Massey

Last edited by Massey; 11-08-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=texas_RS;473141]CARNAGE: i found dyno results online about 30 minutes ago showing E3 plugs in a 3.8 firebird gave an 8HP gain but they burn alot hotter... and thanks i might try that.

The reason that most expensive spark plugs run better is because there are usually 4 arches instead of 1 which means a better chance of randomly indexing your plugs.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Overdrive Member

I would not trust ANY manufacturers claims on any product they offer. There is always fine print like "results may vary" or "labratory results may not reflect real world results" so they can make what ever claim they want to.

Massey

Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Replacing the MAF sensor really doesn't get you any power gains? My current MAF is failing and I was thinking of replacing it with a SLP MAF.

Quick Reply: not so common upgrade ?'s