93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default no dash lights

so about a week ago i changed the stock radio to an aftermarket the next day my alt $hit the bed and my dash-lights went out i checked the fuse its good i put the stock radio back in and when i would turn my headlights on id lose the screen on that i was thinking the dimmer switch but if that went wouldn't it not turn on the interiors any thoughts on my problem would be greatly appreciated this problem has already gotten me 2 tickets for speeding in the same night WTF lets hope the judge is a nice guy

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
4th Gear Member

The switch is ,for simple explanation, several switches, etc built into one. They can cause several different issues such as you describe. Dash lights out, everything else work. Running lights and headlights dead but inside lights works. Usually, these switches seem to go bad just after you have done some work elsewhere on the vehicle. Never understood that! We replaced one back a couple months ago. Symptom was dimmer did not work, head lights dead. Everything else worked. And yes, we had just replaced the radio!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What year car? My entire dash is out.Gauges and all.So is the blower motor and tail lights.Head lights and brake lights and turn signals work fine.Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread just thought we might be able to help each other.Post your remedy when you figure it out.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steved
What year car? My entire dash is out.Gauges and all.So is the blower motor and tail lights.Head lights and brake lights and turn signals work fine.Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread just thought we might be able to help each other.Post your remedy when you figure it out.
Check all your fuses. Sounds like you could have more than one issue. Did all this happen at once? When you say gauges are out, do you mean they don't move when the ignition is turned on at all or are you referring to just the illumination of the guages?

If all fuses are good, check connections. Lights could very well be the switch assy but the heater would be a seperate issue. Heater could be anything from the on/off switch to the blower motor.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

first off its a 95 3.4 the all the lights work (headlights tail interior even the dummy lights and the seatbelt light blinker lights brake light that $hit) the only ones that don't are the lights that illuminate the gauges and the ones that illuminate the heat controls basically the lights the dimmer switch control i think i'm going to go to the junkyard and get a dimmer switch its only like 10 bucks see if that works