93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need some help with a full exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need some help with a full exhaust system

Alright, I'm looking for a whole system, headers, x pipe (is this needed for a exhaust system upgrade?), cat and catback exhaust system, maybe dual, not sure, anyways, anyone know what the average price for all this would be? I don't really have a price range yet, not until i find out what would be essential and how much it'll run me, and if i can even afford it at all. XD.
anyways .
another question, difference between shorty headers and 'long tube' headers? just a sound difference, or diff torque/hp output?
Just recently got my camaro and i have a rattle in my exhaust system, between my cat and my catback exhaust, my cat back exhaust has a horrible clamp, and i suppose it might go away with some JB weld, and i'll do that friday, but still looking to upgrade in the long run.
sorry about the long post.
anyways, all help will be greatly appreciated! .
Thanks in advance guys.

Newest picture of the car.. it's normally a silver color, but the overcast made it look like an amazing color.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need some help with a full exhaust system

This is what I wanna do so I say this is what YOU should do...

I would get the pacesetter headers. I don't know what kind of performance differences there arewith the long tube vs the short tube... I just know that they connect to the rest of the exhaust in a different spot (sorry for lack of info) I would get some brand of high flow cat... and I don't know who makes a good one yet. And then I would go to a reputable company and have them build me an exhaust system with just straight pipes. It's notas good and mandrel bending but it's going to be alot cheaper than buying a kit... and you'll still get some hp gains. Check your local laws for restrictions on all that stuff as well before you buy. On the other hand you can buy like a catback kit from flowmaster some other exhaust dudes. But so far pacesetter is the only company I've seen for the V6 headers

Good luck

Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks a bunch bro.
I'll look into it.
I can get them from autoanything.com for 319 or on ebay for 224.. not sure haha.
thats about half my paycheck.. xD.
and maybe a pace setter cat? 154 dollars..
the headers say they're
1995-02 Camaro 3.8L
Painted finish
1 1/2" primary tubes (the pipes that go from each header?)
then 2 1/2" collector (an adapter for a 2.5" y/h/x pipe?)
so if i bought just the headers and a 2.5" in/out cat would that be alright?
and also, what did ya mean by a reputable company and have them build me some straight back pipes.. what kind of place would do that, im sure any regular muffler shop would charge a fortune right?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Pacesetter headers are what most of us sixxer guys go for, get the special coated ones so you don't end up with nasty rusted headers after a year or so.
There is a set of long tubes you can order for our car, but thats about 800 dollars made to order lol.
Good choice with the mid-pipe I would either do an X-pipe like you said or an H-pipe, both of those help to eliminate that raspy sound you get from a v6.
Only cat I've ever heard worth buying other than gutting your stock one is the Magnaflow cat, I've got one and have no complaints.
Cat-back is just your preference for sound, they all seem to be about the same performance wise.

So prices:
Pacesetter Headers $200-300
Mid-pipe $50-150 (I've found some really cheap "Universal Kits")
And cat-back probably $300-500

Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Oh and just to add this, about 2.5in piping will be all you need.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well what i was actually looking into, was going pace setter headers, X pipe, or H, not sure, cause I wanna go true dual, and just use a shoot out muffler right before the axle.
If I was to go Headers > Y Pipe, Cat> another Y pipe > to 2 shoot out mufflers do you think it'd sound aight? cause I think i need a cat, and I've got no clue where a cat would fit into a true dual system

Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

right after the headers or b4 the mufflers but i dont think its possible to hav 2 y pipes lik that and kinda stupid

Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hahaha xD just an idea

Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Not sure what a shootout muffler is, but true dual on a six sounds better than any other exhaust they offer for it. For true dual I would use just 2.25' diameter piping. Two of those are pretty close the equivilant of 3' pipe.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear member

2 Y pipes...?
and what exactly is a shoot out muffler? ya dont mean cut out do you?

Quick Reply: Need some help with a full exhaust system