93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need information on an v6 to ls1 swap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 2000 project
Ya well unfortunately for me I am kindda stubborn that way. I also have access to all of the military do it your self auto shops and have all the tools I need back home. I know a donor car would help out alot but finding one is the hard part most of them are missing the majority of what I need, I have been looking. I can find the computer gauges and wiring harness no problem thou and every thing else I can buy new just makes it more pricey but for the finished product it will actually work better. The only thing that will take me some time to find is the tranny.

Dude... Seriously here you dont get it... The doner car is NOT optional. Did you read the list of the parts that dont need to be changed? I am not joking there. You will need things like the brakes and lines, ABS unit, diff, fuel lines, and just about every other part of the V8 car. There are very few parts that are the same between V6 and V8. Remember I have been a part of this swap, I KNOW what needs to be done here. If you dont want to listen to us here that is fine... Good luck

Massey

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
2nd Gear member

You can do it without a donor car...... but it'll cost big bucks to buy the ABS module, PCM, BCM, and the pre-fabricated brake lines, fuel pump etc....... Then you have to buy the rear-end, transmission, guages, and the list goes on! Donor car is definately the way to go!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

i say go for it. ive seen it done numerous times without changing all the brake systems and all that other stuff. look up GM High Tech Performance magazine and those guys have done without doin all that. they know all about it. im planning on doing the LS swap into a 3rd gen here shortly. nothings impossible. may take time which you probably dont have being your daily driver. ive even someone do a 6.0 swap in a 3rd gen.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Chadimus, no offense, but hes doing it into a 4th, HUGE difference. If im not mistaken most 3rds can be swapped however for whatever in most peoples sleep, but a fourth.... its like a full organ transplant.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

To the original poster= Are you done yet? Did you give up after on 4 post. That way less then my predicted 10 posts. Seriously if you did please post back.

To Chadimus06 = why dig up old post that are completely useless. There must be 200 of these V6 to V8 post in the last 5 years

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

I saw we just start giving them the link to the v6 to v8 swap sticky. Unless they have the engine swapped already. Maybe it'll happen less.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Nut we did do that thing you said with your mouth

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Overdrive Member

OK for the guy who is claiming things like putting a LS engine in a 3rd gen is like a major deal... its not! The 3rd gen is not built around its power train, a 4th gen is. A 3rd gen was not dependent on a PCM or BCM for gauges to work, or for the trans to shift properly the 4th gen is The only thing you need to put any modern engine in an older car is mounts, and the wiring harness for the engine and trans. Putting a different engine from one modern car to another requires alot more.

There are some times you will not need to swap things like the brake lines or fuel lines but that is going from a car that has the same as the donor. If memory serves me right the OP has a LT series car and wants an LS series engine and PCM. This is what requires all the parts from the donor car.

Massey

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM

No I haven't given up on it yet lol. I decided to hold off on doing the swap right away so I can have my engine done exactly how I want it so I am not pulling it out multiple time just to do something small. So I figure I'll get the engine built find the tranny I want for it get a new rear end for it and have my entire suspension on breaking system up graded before I drop the new engine in it. I will say that driving this ****ing v6 around is annoying the **** outta me cause it sounds like ****!!! I'll probable have to fix that just so I don't go crazy but at least the sound system I dropped in it il loud enough to where I can hear the exhaust to much

Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

LOL, you hate your V6?

Quick Reply: need information on an v6 to ls1 swap!!!