93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need Help on Loss of Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Location: James Creek, PA 16657 & 2nd Home in Bonifay, FL 32425
Default Need Help on Loss of Coolant

I have a 2002 V-6 that is Leaking Coolant and Over Heated Once was 225 deg. but Not super heated with steam and all that.

I changed out -- water pump & thermostat and it's still is dropping coolant. I took it for a test drive yesterday. The coolant system was topped off & bleed out, no air from the bleed hole all water after bleeding. The car remained at 210 on the 6 mile trip to a local store.

When I was in the parking lot, I raised the hood and checked the over flow tank and it was down to the bottom, took the radiator cap off and could not see coolant. I had 4 gal of water with me and added about 2 gal. bring the levels back to full.

Parking lot... I checked under the car and saw water (steady dripping) dripping under the pass. side of the car, near the firewall panel location.

I'm asking is the intake mainfold leaking and dropping water off the rear (rgt. side) of the engine.

Could the heater core have a leak as well ?

I'm in FL and away from my diesel shop. I don't have my Stant pressure checking tool here, it's back in PA.

Looking for Info. from You All .. in regard to common problems with the
V-6. I heard this engine had problems with the intake manifold gaskets.

The car has 93K miles & runs perfect, other that a eng. latch of the upper EGR sensor. This car has always been taken care of and maintained through-out it's life (8 years).

Forgot to Mention -- I did Not see bubbles or any type of water being psuhed out from head crack or head gasket leakage. The oil cap is not milky and oil color is like it was pour in new (1,000 miles since last change).

Thanks' in Advance

Avery

Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Well that is alot of water for such a short trip. I would investigate your heater hoses or the head to intake mating area. There is no pass through for the heads water through the rear of the intake but there is a water jacket there. Intake manifold gaskets do leak in at the water jacket all the time on this engine. Heater hoses or the core could also be a cause considering where you are describing loss of fluid. Get this fixed soon or you will be needing a new engine.

Massey

Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

From passenger side firewall sounds like heater hoses or core to me. We had heater hose replaced a couple of years ago and were hard to find and expensive. It is made as a manifolded piece with both hoses and connectors, etc.

I have also lost coolant from a plastic elbow under the upper intake (plenum) connecting the belt tensioner pulley assembly to the lower intake manifold.

I also lost coolant from a bad gasket between upper plenum and lower intake at the area under the t-stat, but that dumped coolant on top of the engine, pooling up on top of the lower intake manifold.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 AM
4th Gear Member

To lose that much water that quickly you would have to bust a line or blow the water pump... Unless you just completely cracked your intake and head all the way down...

Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have a coolent loss too, but that happens if i go above like 2800-3000rpm. Mine seems like some bypass elbow, that i found in one of the threads here. Guess you could turn on the engine and take look at the engine, that worked for me..!

I actually drove 6hrs bak and forth (frm SF-LA) with adding water just once, since I knew I shouldn't go above 2800rpm. That might help if its something like that..!

well, thats my 2cents lol.