93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Here we go. Coolant loss and hot times.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Default Here we go. Coolant loss and hot times.

My first post so im sure ill screw something up. Heres the history. I got a 95 camaro with a 3.4 from around Bristol Va. First thing i noticed was the fact that it had no coolant in it. just water. So this starts the not so good times. Flushed and filled the cooling system and started fighting leaks. Now a radiator, water pump, thermostat, freeze plugs and hoses later im still losing water. Ive fought this thing for a year now. Latest issue is massive loss of coolant. This combined with getting the hottest ive ever seen it. I have checked the oil and no coolant in it. no wet floorboard. and cant find the water leak. the last time i saw it leak was on the ground on the passenger side right around the middle of the engine. My wife loves this thing so i want to fix it for her. myself i plan on buying a z this winter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Intake manifold gaskets, or head gaskets.
When you're losing coolant, and you don't see any external signs or leaks, you're losing it internally. And since it's not getting into the oil, it must be getting into the cylinders and coming out the exhaust as steam. You seeing a white cloud following you at all?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

you should try and do a pressure test. a shop will do it if you dont have one, but if its a pritty major leak i would fill up the rad and fire the car up and try and find the leak. I think with those they have a sensor on the side of the block make sure thats ok. make sure everything still looks good that you have already put in.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

what camaro 69 said also haha

Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

At the same time too!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hivemind lol

Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Autozone will let you borrow a pressure tester ($75 deposit). You just fill up your system and put this air pump on where the rad cap should go and pump it up. Then look for leaks. If you can not find any and the system will not hold pressue pull your plugs and see if you have coolant there.

Head gaskets on 3.4 is pretty comon. Infact with the exception "How do I install a V8" yours is the most comon question we see here.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

i had the same issue as you and several others here with my 95 camaro with the 3.4 and i went to a auto store and bout a tester and come to find out i have a gasket leak...so i would maybe try that and see what you get

Old 10-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Its getting cold here so i decided to make sure i had enough antifreeze in the system. Within 5 minutes of running the temp gauge pegged out but the motor wasnt even hot. got to looking and its pouring coolant from above the freeze plug on the passenger side of the motor. all i can figure is that the gasket on the timing chain cover is shot or the cover is busted. that sucks cause i just had it changed. but hopefully that is the extent of whats going on. just cant figure out why its pegging the gauge out so quickly

Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

you could try and use a sealant called blue devil and see how it goes... you can get it from oreillys or other parts stores or on line @ https://www.gouniversalproducts.com/...t-Sealant.html

Quick Reply: Here we go. Coolant loss and hot times.