93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default NEED HELP

hey guys,

i got my 99 camaro in february and it's currently at the shop getting inspected for a breaking problem. The guy that works there said they can't take the fourth wheel off because there is a wheel lock and he needs the key for it. I told him I have no idea what he's talking about. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem or know where to get this key? If not i'll take it to the chevy dealership down the road and see what they say. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
January 2007 ROTM
Default RE: NEED HELP

I believe that he is talking about a lugnut lock ....... basically it is a socket for removing the lugnut off of your tire, helps to prevent getting your tires stolen.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Droid

If you can't find the key, there are special tools to remove the lug nut, or it can always be torched off and a new stud put in.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Overdrive Member

The shop should be able to hammer a socket onto the lug and get it off then replace it with a normal one. Iused to have to do this and since I had Snap on and Mac sockets they had lifetime warrenty if I ruined one. Unless it is like ones I have seen before that use a padlock key and the outer part spins when it is not locked.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. I went back to the shop this morning and my mechanic said he would find a way to get it off. What's interesting though is now that I think about it, I brought my car to him about 6 months ago to look at my breaks and my dad who went with me distinctly remembers having a key for a lug lock. At the time the mechanic was able to fix my breaks so I'm guessing he used the key and lost it somewhere in the shop. It's a little annoying because he charges by the hour so this extra work he needs to do to get the lock off is gonna end up charging me more money then it should. oh well.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Overdrive Member

If he charges you a lot then he must be a thief. It never took me long or was that big a problem when I had to do it.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
January 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Bzman

thanks guys. I went back to the shop this morning and my mechanic said he would find a way to get it off. What's interesting though is now that I think about it, I brought my car to him about 6 months ago to look at my breaks and my dad who went with me distinctly remembers having a key for a lug lock. At the time the mechanic was able to fix my breaks so I'm guessing he used the key and lost it somewhere in the shop. It's a little annoying because he charges by the hour so this extra work he needs to do to get the lock off is gonna end up charging me more money then it should. oh well.

It shouldn't take that long for him to get it off .......... trust me , he can get that lugnut off quick ..... its not that difficult