93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Default need help

i have a 97 camaro 3.8, i just did an engine swap about 6 months ago the new engine only has 83,000 miles on it the car runs smooth and does not over heat but i checked the water in the radiator and there is oil in the water if it was a bad head gasket wouldnt it over heat??? the oil in the car is still very clean is there anything else that could cause this, i also had it on diagnostics comes up with code PO171 bank 1 lean

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure sounds like a head gasket. is it trany fluid (red) or motor oil? u have two oil coolers one for the motor oil and one for the tranny oil. could be one of those. did u notice any oil in there after changing the motor, mayb u had some oil in there from the last motor.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 AM

no its oil i didnt even check it before because the old engine spun a rod bearing so i just yanked it out im losing a little bit of water too i heard form a couple shops around here that a head gasket will throw that code it just doesnt run like it has one idles smooth doesnt smoke and has plenty of power

Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the old engine was a 3.8 and u still have the heads take em in and have them done at a good machine shop. have them check for any cracks and such. then u will have the heads ready to go on when u do the work. wam bam and your done.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM

thats what i shouldve done but i sold the old engine you never think your going to need these things and then you do sometimes its best to hold on to em i guess oh having a compression check done wednesday and we will know for sure i guess

Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
4th Gear Member

You could have had some oil already in the rad from previous engine. As far as the coolant lose, double check the heater hoses, where they snap into the inlet and outlet ports, with the engine running and the heater turned on hot. Some times, these things will leak and the leak will burn off the engine from the engine heat. Also, is the overflow tank full or running over? If the head gasket is bad, you should see bubbles in the rad with the cap off and the motor running. Search google or youtube vid's for head gasket leaks;