93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

My car leaked coolant but then it just stopped

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
Keep the coolant level up and purge the air out of the system too and you should be ok. As for the water pump you will need to remove the tensioner which has 2 little plastic elbows that allow the coolant to go to the heater core, replace these too, they cost like $3 or $4 from any auto part store and most of the time they dont come off pretty. Make sure there is no part of the old elbows left inside the bore of the intake manifold. The last time I replaced these parts I used some bearing grease to help them slide into place and also to help create a seal that will prevent water from passing through. So far so good it has worked.

Massey
Ok sounds great. Should be a fun Friday and Saturday and hopefully not Sunday project lol

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by shinwolf14
Like I said, my options are drive it to class one day with the coolant full (the school is less then 5 miles away. When I drove it this morning, my car didn't reach normal temperature yet when I parked.) or my other option is to miss my test, fail the class, and not graduate because this is my last semester. I understand the risks, I just wanted to know some preventative measures. The problem will be fixed tomorrow. Oh and I have have a 3.4L and not a 3800. I said it in the original post (not that it makes much of a difference because I understand what you are saying)
Well, is taking public transit or a taxi an option for a day or two? Do you have a friend or family member that can give you a lift to school? Might be a good idea.

Now, you can take or leave my advice, it's up to you. I replaced my water pump last summer too. I found out that my timing cover was also leaking. Once you have removed the water pump it's ony a few more bolts in the timing cover and the crankshaft pulley to remove the timing cover. You'll need a puley puller which is about $20.00 at a local parts store. Change the timing cover gasket at the same time you change the water pump! You'll be happy you did! If you get the car back together and it leaks again then you won't be happy! To change the water steering pump you need to remove your coil packs, rad hoses, and loosen the power steering pump.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

HELP!! What is this?! It's not the water pump. It is leaking from 2 places which are circled in one of the pictures below. The other one is just a different angle, and the last one is the view from the top and its under whatever is circled. What is this seal?

Name:  3-1.jpg
Views: 4627
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 4582
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 4683
Size:  21.8 KB

Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe the intake? but I can not be sure with those pics. it is a common issue with the 3800.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok well I fixed that but my water pump was leaking too. So my problem I can't get water pump pulley bolts loose. It says you were suppose to loosen them before you take off the serpentine belt but the pulley kept rotating and the bolts are rusted on... any suggestions? I sprayed PB Blaster on them so maybe that helps. I just can't get the rusted bolts loose

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wedge a heavy screw driver across two bolt heads and break one of the bolts loose. Rotate 90 degs and repeat.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok well I fixed that
I am guessing it was not the intake . That is a pretty big job.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am guessing it was not the intake . That is a pretty big job.
Nah it wasn't, it was a loose hose lol

I'm gonna try that in the morning and I'll let y'all know if it worked

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok well I fixed that but my water pump was leaking too. So my problem I can't get water pump pulley bolts loose. It says you were suppose to loosen them before you take off the serpentine belt but the pulley kept rotating and the bolts are rusted on... any suggestions? I sprayed PB Blaster on them so maybe that helps. I just can't get the rusted bolts loose
You shouldn't need to take the pulley off. Most new pumps come with the pulley. Just undo the 8 or so bolts around the water pump and pull her off.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Overdrive Member

you cant remove this water pump without removing the pulley, and most waterpumps do not come with a pulley.

Like Gorn said use a long screwdriver to wedge between the bolts to break them loose. The factory bolts have thread lock on them which makes them hold a little tighter than normal.

Massey

Quick Reply: My car leaked coolant but then it just stopped