93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

missfiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
You should avoid running low so you do not start picking up crap off the bottom of the tank that will load up your staining sock.
You're not the only one I've heard say that before. What is that supposed to mean anyway? The fuel is still sucked off the bottom of the tank whether it's full or almost empty.
Also, not sure about the 4th gen gas tank, but the 3rd didn't have any baffles. It has a metal boxed-in area that the pump sets into.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear member

well i got the car back today and the guy at the shop today told me that he thinks someone poured sugar down my tank. its running ok but it still pisses me off that someone would do that. a hole in my ac compressor just kinda showed up recently too. kinda looks like someone drilled a hole through it. needless to say i have no ac now

Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear member

oh and if anyone has any ideas of how to mess with someone elses car and do some descent, fixable damage to it let me know. im pretty sure i knew who did all of this to my car....

Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wedge a potato or two up his tailpipe. If he has a fairly tight sealing exhaust, it should make the engine kill because it can't breathe. No harm to the engine, and it'll take him a while to figure it out.
But, you didn't hear it from me, cuz that wouldn't be a nice thing to do to someone!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You're not the only one I've heard say that before. What is that supposed to mean anyway? The fuel is still sucked off the bottom of the tank whether it's full or almost empty.
Also, not sure about the 4th gen gas tank, but the 3rd didn't have any baffles. It has a metal boxed-in area that the pump sets into.
My guess is The sock pulls fuel from a full 360 degrees. As the fuel level drops it can not pull as much gas top as the bottom and since a higher volume of gas is being pulled from the bottom you get more junk.
The reason you have heard it before is because most of the time a sock gets completely plugged is when a car runs out of gas. They will get a gallon of gas and it will still not start. Next it shows up at the dealer on a flatbed. With FI cars it noramlly took a pump. With Carb cars the sock just needed cleaning. Or in the case of people with no money a quick blast from a air gun into the fuel line.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-31-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The sock doesn't float, at all. It's mounted to the bottom of the pickup tube of the sending unit, and the tube is connected at the center of the sock. Basically, forming a "T". The sock is rigid, rests at the bottom, and stays there.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Overdrive Member

take the cap off the tire valve stem. place a small pebble in the cap (try and make it stick in there). thread the cap back on til you hear hissing. if you were sucessful the tire will go flat.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't get mad....get even!!
Let me add, if his exhaust is irregular where you can't stuff in a potato, Great Stuff (expanding foam) will fill that pesky leaking hole in the tailpipe too.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The sock doesn't float, at all. It's mounted to the bottom of the pickup tube of the sending unit, and the tube is connected at the center of the sock. Basically, forming a "T". The sock is rigid, rests at the bottom, and stays there.
I never said it floated? Yes it sits near the bottom. I have no idea how many dozen I have had apart. Its enough I can not remember which one is which. But if you limit the area of flow you increase the rate of the flow. When you get down to the last inch or so of gas you increase the flow at the bottom. Or so I am guessing. I did not make up the fact that plugged sock normally show up on cars that have just run out of gas. It ws told to me within a few months of becoming a mechanic and for about 5 years I saw about 1/2 dozen cases that proved it to me. I can not remember a plugged sock on a car that had not run out of fuel, although I am sure it has happened.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh alrighty then, I kinda see what you're trying to say. When you said "360 degrees", I was envisioning the thing bobbing like a float. From what you describe, I guess anything is possible. But man, you'd have to have a crap load of crap (or sugar) down there! I've even seen the deadly "floating slime" in old tanks, where gas flow would be fine until the level went down far enough for the sock to suck it off the top and clog.

Quick Reply: missfiring problems