93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

missfiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear member
Default missfiring problems

about 2 weeks ago i replaced my clutch and put all new plugs, wires, and coils in my car. it was running really rough just before i changed the electrical system. i ran the codes on it and at the time it said "random/multiple cylinder missfire". i figured that meant time for new plugs, ect. once all that was changed, it ran damn good until today. on my way to work, it just seemed to lose all power. i couldnt keep the car at a steady speed. it got to where i couldnt even hit 20 mph. i parked it and the engine was running so bad that i couldnt even rev it past 2k rpms and then it just shut off. i ran the codes on it again and it now says "cylinder 1 missfire". im not sure what is wrong. i would think that it would still run even if 1 cylinder was out but it wont. it will crank and sit at an idle but as soon as i rev it, it starts to shake. my step dad seems to think a fuel injector has gone out. my dad seems to think that one of the coils is bad. i dont see where it could be either one of those tho bcuz i dont see how it could run that bad with just 1 cylinder out. any ideas?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

man, i really hate saying this, but have you tried seafoam? its 'supposed' to clean out the injectors.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 AM
2nd Gear member

havent tried that but i just dont see where it could be the injectors. ive never had a problem with the f/i system. why would it all of a sudden just go out?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

well the seafoam would also help with the missfires. i dont know why the injectors would go out other than if they were really old, or ran a lot of dirty gas. but that mostly never happens. how many miles are on the car?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear member

112,000. i ran the code again today and it gave me "random/multiple cylinder missfire"

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, if the injector is electrically dead, it will not work. Get it electrically NOID tested. Sea Foam or similar can only help clean an injector mechanically.

Originally Posted by RS96LSU
havent tried that but i just dont see where it could be the injectors. ive never had a problem with the f/i system. why would it all of a sudden just go out?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Well, if the injector is electrically dead, it will not work. Get it electrically NOID tested. Sea Foam or similar can only help clean an injector mechanically.

but then again he said that it may not be the injector. one scenario is the timing may be off.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
im taking it to the shop wednesday to get everything looked over. i tried buying a new coil today and individually replaced each one to see if i had a bad coil but no luck with that either. im starting to think that it may be an injector, but that wouldnt explain why it had a random/multiple cylinder missfire code

Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Overdrive Member

So do you now have 3 new coil packs installed? From what I read on my post about my misfires and lean condition, it could be multiple bad coil packs too...

Originally Posted by RS96LSU
im taking it to the shop wednesday to get everything looked over. i tried buying a new coil today and individually replaced each one to see if i had a bad coil but no luck with that either. im starting to think that it may be an injector, but that wouldnt explain why it had a random/multiple cylinder missfire code

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear member

i tried to get it to the shop tonight and it made it about a mile no problem and then it just kinda died. i lost almost all power and couldnt get over 10 mph. i had to coast into a parking lot. everytime i gave it any gas, it would make this terrible loud knocking sound. now its sitting in the parking lot and wont even start anymore

Quick Reply: missfiring problems