93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

misfire when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I got the automotive stethoscope in the mail today but it’s a beautiful day so the problem isn’t really being a b****. I listened to the fuel injectors and didn’t hear any pauses in the clicking, listened for a hissing sound in the exhaust manifold and don’t really know what im listening for there. Checked the pcv valve and although it was dirty it wasn’t clogged but I still cleaned it up with some carb cleaner. Also sprayed some carb cleaner in throttle body. The problem did show up for about 2 minutes with normal symptoms but the injectors still sounded fine with the stethoscope then it just went away.

Last edited by jackrabbit66; 04-07-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default random / cylinder mirfire fixed!

OK so it’s been a few months and I can officially say I have troubleshooted and fixed the random misfire / cylinder #2 misfire problem! It was caused by a spark plug wire lying over the #2 fuel injector wires. This caused a short Circuit flooding the number 2 cylinder with fuel at the wrong time causing a rich burn and misfire. It’s really my fault for not putting the spark plug wires back in they're proper location after replacing them myself. Also I had to replace the Ignition Control Unit because I didn’t know THANKS TO THE F****** HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL that the ICU is "glued" together with thermal grease to the steel heat sink it sits on and when I took them apart I weakened the heat dissipation properties of the heat sink causing premature death of the ICU (cost me $135.00). In recap if you have a random misfire or cylinder misfire check to make sure the spark plug wires are not laying over any other wires please. And if you want to check the ICU make sure you clean the surfaces of both the ICU and the heat sink and bond them together with thermal grease before reinstalling them. Also if you suspect the ICU most auto part stores can diagnose it for you for free but make sure you call ahead and ask if they're machine works for the Camaro. I REALLY HOPE THIS THREAD HELPS A FEW PEOPLE AND GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay thanks for the info, would have never thought of that one. lol. great that u found it, not so great that modual got fryed. so your back on the road just in time for the holiday. hope it went good to for ya. thanks again for the followup, we all like to see that and learn.