93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

misfire when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Question misfire when it rains

ok at first I though it was just my bad luck that ever time its raining my car acts up and gives me problems but its consistently been doing this now for the last month. It’s a misfire in the #6 cylinder and the spark plugs and wires have been replaced recently and ive already checked the coil. in the troubleshooting section of the book its says wet ignition system components could be to blame but what else other than spark plug wires could be getting wet and shorting out? I’ve ordered an automotive stethoscope to check the fuel injectors and a compression gauge to check cylinder compression and I plan to replace fuel filter. Can anyone think of anything I might be overlooking i might check while i wait for my tools to arrive in the mail?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what year is your car.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My car is a 1999 3.8 v6

I replaced the Fuel filter just a few minutes ago but since the weather had turned nice again theres no telling if it solved the problem or if the problem has disapeared because its dry now. Should get some rain tomorrow so ill update the status then. I still think its the fuel injectors!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have found it helpful to find some spark problems by looking at the engine in the dark while running. needs to be really dark, you can see any spark from the wires way easier. if you have a opti distributor in it that could be it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How do you know it's the #6 that's misfiring? Was your SES light on and you got it scanned?
A misfire in the rain is a definite sign of an ignition issue. The extreme dampness in the air causes a short where there's a weakness in the wiring or a component. Was it doing this with the old wires too? If not, you could have a bad wire, even though it's new. Or you could have a carbon track short on one of your coils. When the new wires were put on, was dielectric grease used at both ends of all the wires? If not, that could also be your problem.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

You could go old school and just run your hand down the wire and see if you get shocked. I suggest getting a friend that doesn't mind a good joke for the deed(or some one that hangs around that you don't like).

Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Do you know if the coils are getting wet when it rains? Doesn't help that they sit right under the cowl lip.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation Another day

So this morning the problem was gone as I predicted due to the great weather. I drove the car around to listen and feel for any signs of problems then drive it about 10 miles to the store. After an hour I started the car to find the problem was back with a flashing check engine light. Luckily Advance auto was right down the street so I went over to check the code and this time it’s the #2 cylinder misfire!!!!! Starting to suspect fuel injectors less and less.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

I am having the same exact problem. I changed the control module and it went away. It rained and it was fine until I started it again. Doing the same thing AGAIN. But today its pouring like hell and its not doing it. I had my scaned and it also said cylinder 2 miss fire. I checked to see if the modual was getting power to that coil and it wasnt. Thats why I replaced it. Now it feels like its a fuel problem which if your having the same issue is why u changed the fuel filter. IDK! Just getting frustrated.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it very well could be the icm and chappie you may have gotten a new one that went bad right away. ive heard of that happening once. i keep one in the car. in the 93 it does not lose just one cyl. it wont run. i dont know if theres a way for the icm to get a power surge (or drop) and do this but it almost sounds like something like that.

Quick Reply: misfire when it rains