93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster: The final battle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster: The final battle

Looking at buying an exhaust for my 1998 3.8 v6 camaro, one of my mods is ofcourse the exhaust. Like all of you its time to make the decision of MAGNAFLOW, or take the FLOWMASTER route, personally i love magnaflow, my dad used to have one when i was little and i remember it being so distinct. So I was sure this was my choice until i started to review some videos. and frankly, the magnaflow sounded like a weedwacker... im not sure if it just might be the camera they were using or what? i really need some good reviews of both here people. I need some magnaflow users to give me the pros and cons, and the flowmasters to give me the pros and cons. people who have heard both? lets hear it..

Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You're v6 will sound like a weed eater no matter what you do, UNLESS you run a custom true dual exhaust. That is the only way you will get rid of the raspy "weed eater" sound. But if you just want a cat-back system, I will have to recommend the stock z28 exhaust and DO NOT delete the catalytic converter. Deleting the cat will make your car sound like a trash can lid in a dryer! The z28 system is really throaty and deep. My car gets mistaken for a v8 daily! People always ask me if it's a z28 when I pull up. So this is my suggestion: Get a stock exhaust off a Z28 or an SS Camaro. You will be very pleased.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
You're v6 will sound like a weed eater no matter what you do, UNLESS you run a custom true dual exhaust. That is the only way you will get rid of the raspy "weed eater" sound. But if you just want a cat-back system, I will have to recommend the stock z28 exhaust and DO NOT delete the catalytic converter. Deleting the cat will make your car sound like a trash can lid in a drier! The z28 system is really throaty and deep. My car gets mistaken for a v8 daily! People always ask me if it's a z28 when I pull up. So this is my suggestion: Get a stock exhaust off a Z28 or an SS Camaro. You will be very pleased.
Oh really Chaotic? Haha JK, your sixer does sound Z28-like, judging from that video that you posted in another thread. If you want to get rid of that 'weed eater' sound, you'll want to get headers along with a good exhaust system. This exhaust sounds good until he revs at high RPM's. The video says that the car has Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r3hbr2Bahw

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 11-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^That sounds like garbage!!! LOL It sound great until he revs it up. Sounds..... Well..... Like a weed-eater!!! My $40 exhaust sounds twice as nice as that IMO. Flowmaster and/or Magnaflow are both overkill on a v6. The stock z28 exhaust is still mean sounding but doesn't sound like a bucket of quarters in a clothes dryer at high rpm's.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well any V6 Camaro is going to sound like hell at high RPM IMO. This one sounded close to a V8, then it wines at high RPM.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Not if you have true dual exhaust with decent headers. My friend has a 1996 5-speed 3.8 Firebird and he has a custom made true dual exhaust on it and it doesn't get raspy or clanky at high rpm's. Sounds smooth as can be. And sounds throaty like a v8 at low rpm's. But it still sounds really smooth at high rpm's. I think he said his mufflers were custom built too.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i made my exhaust. i used 3 inch and started at the headers with a custom x pipe i made and ran duals down to a THRUSH SUPER TURBO muffler dumped at the axle... it sounds amazing and the car in the video sounds good at idle but like a flowmaster sounds like crap when you step on it... mine is for the most part quiet and deep thru the whole RPM range... and i deleted the cat. and for when i wanna show out it has cutouts right behind the x-pipe

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

Magnaflow > Flowmaster. I have one on my V6, very smooth sound and doesn't drone at highway speeds. I have heard the Dynomax catback too, and that one wasn't bad either. With the Flowmaster catback you will get the 80 series muffler, not the 40 series.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Chaotic did you ever make a new video with better volume?

*Nevermind I just saw your video from the outside for the first time. Ive heard other v6 camaros that put the exhaust from a z28 on it and it always does that weird thing where it sounds like its only letting air out sometimes. When you rev it up it doesn't sound as messed up as other exhausts, but it doesn't sound smooth. Idk what it is, but dammit I've been debating getting a z28 exhaust as a temp setup for a while and I can't find a great example of one.

Last edited by Murda99v6; 11-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Overdrive Member

This perhaps should be Borla vs. Magnaflow, as Magnaflow wins over Flowmaster in parts quality stainless vs. not...

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster: The final battle