Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Did that happen in the same cylinder?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Did that happen in the same cylinder?

yes. i believe it was. i was underneath the car when i saw the bolt. i know it was either the #4 or #6.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If that was in the same cylinder then, I'm suspecting some possible block damage (a crack in the wall perhaps) that he didn't spot.
For only one set of rings not to seat, and for it to be in the same cylinder, is just way too coincidental.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 PM

If that was in the same cylinder then, I'm suspecting some possible block damage (a crack in the wall perhaps) that he didn't spot.
For only one set of rings not to seat, and for it to be in the same cylinder, is just way too coincidental.
ok so now i have spoken with another mechanic that is currently attending the NASCAR school locally here in NC, Mooresville. he asked one of the instructors (that specializes on fuel injection) there that told me to add on a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adjust it down to lean out the mix. he also said that if it was the rings that the car would be idling erratically, it is still idleing smooth back to 900. he also said that if i wanted, he could pick up the car and take it to the school and they would work on it there and use it as a training tool. that sounds like fun. a car that has been modified and fixed by a NASCAR mechanic.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by keviinnc
ok so now i have spoken with another mechanic that is currently attending the NASCAR school locally here in NC, Mooresville. he asked one of the instructors (that specializes on fuel injection) there that told me to add on a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adjust it down to lean out the mix. he also said that if it was the rings that the car would be idling erratically, it is still idleing smooth back to 900.
And the above is going to fix the below how? A stock setup doesn't need an adjustable pressure regulator. Yours could be faulty, but it still isn't going to help your half-dead cylinder. What you really need to do is peek inside that cylinder with a bore scope. If it was mine, I'd be worried about the condition of the cylinder without giving it a good visual inspection.
Originally Posted by keviinnc
OK, so i finally bit the bullet and i drove it to a garage, damn it. they changed the oil because of the large amount of gas in it. he checked the engine and told me my rings in #4 are gone. around 65lb pressure. that would explain everything. the misfire and the car spitting gas out of exhaust.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM

And the above is going to fix the below how? A stock setup doesn't need an adjustable pressure regulator. Yours could be faulty, but it still isn't going to help your half-dead cylinder. What you really need to do is peek inside that cylinder with a bore scope. If it was mine, I'd be worried about the condition of the cylinder without giving it a good visual inspection.

i agreed with you on this. too many conflicting evaluations. so, i checked the compression myself wet and dry. i would say 200psi is well above the so called 65 this other mechanic was saying.this is why i like doing things myself.
so, I'm still having the same problems. this time we can rule out bad rings.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM

ok, finally got it fixed and its running great. i ended up replacing the ecm. found one off of the web for $50. after installed it took a while to burn up all the gas that had built up in the engine, but it finally cleared out. started up and ran just fine. so, the ecm did go bad without giving a code.

after picking it up i was on my way home when it just died in the middle of the road. about 3 miles from the garage. after a few words, i checked it out again and found out that the MAF was coding a low voltage. after unhooking it. the car ran again. i went and bought one for 146. and that fixed that problem. since everything has been replaced except the alternator, i should be good, (and yes i did get that checked). i hope this does help anyone else that may have this same problem, it took me four months.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Cool

if your puffing white smoke did you think it may be coolant going threw your exhuast just a thought

Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM

wait i juz saw that laat post nevermind glad to see that you got it running tho i have a 96 as well