93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Leaking Coolant > Right Side, Underneath Eng.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Location: James Creek, PA 16657 & 2nd Home in Bonifay, FL 32425
Default Leaking Coolant > Right Side, Underneath Eng.

I asked about this coolant leak a few days ago and You can refer to it for all the information about the engine.

Here's what I did today:

i pulled the car up omn ramps and serviced tje radiator and over flow tank. The radiator was down to nothing and ran water in from a hose but it took awhile, wasdown a gal. plus.

I cracked the coolant vent by the thermostat housing and ran the engine at idle. I looked underneath and saw the steady drip of water and it's no little drip.

The location is by the right (pass) side engine mount and hard to see above this area.

Could the water manifold gashets be leaking this bad ?

I changes the WP & Thermostat.

I treid to see in there but I saw noting but the TB Inject Unit.

tell m,e what to do next !

Avery

Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds to me like it's a bad freeze.....er, I mean block casting plug. Safely jack and brace the front of the car, wipe the side of the block dry/clean, start the engine, and get under the car to see where it's running from. A head gasket or crack in the block is another possibility, but if it is coming from the motor mount area as you say, the block plug is a likely candidate.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM

I Never thought of a Freeze Plug being the Problem. It's Really Dripping at a Good Rate and the Engine can be >> Turned Off or On and the rate does not change that much.

I had a Good Light there today and will need one with a bright flex end to get in there to Really See Anything.

If it's one of these Freeze plugs, it will be difficult to Remove & Install I bet, looks tight in there.

I'm Thinking... If I have to pull the engine to change the Freeze Plug, I will consider other repairs as well.

If I do have to pull the engine, would you put in New Bearings & New HD Oil Pump ? Also, would you change the >> Intake Manifold Gaskets or Anything Else that had a bad defect record ?

This engine has 93,5Xx miles and runs well. It use's very little oil between 4 k oil changes. I have seen a little smoke when I pull out from a stop signs and it's there for just a few seconds. I thought this was coming from the valve guide's as you idle at the stop light.

Let me know your thought's. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and have had chev's all my life. I do not know the new stuff at all .. from the 90's & up. I do like the v-6 and was getting 28 MPG driving to work. I need to change the upper EGR sensor according to Autozone. I did not buy one at the time, thinking I'd buy OEM from Chev. and believe in >> Good Parts over Just So So Parts but don't know if my thinking was right or not.

Thanks'

Avery

Old 11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you run the car without water for any amount of time? If so I would just do the head gaskets while its out. If the intake gasket is still the factory one then it needs done.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 AM

The Engine is 100% Orginial and has bever been down.

I changed the thermostat, water pump and complete fluid/ filter service when I bought the car 5 months ago. Also, changed the tank pump & serp. belt.

I thought the Intake Manifold Gst's. had to be replaced (bad gaskets), do they have >> Up Graded gaskets from GM or vender _____ ?

If I do the head gaskets while the engine is out, maybe >> Rear & Front seals, Rods & Main Bearings, New Rings, Valve Guide seals, etc. .

I plan on keeping the car and it's in nice shape.

Avery