93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Just got a 1997 rs 3.8 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay well yesterday I took a 6 hour round trip road trip and bought a 2000 grand prix wrecked in the rear. I got home last night unloaded it and was able to get the motor pulled last night. I saw that last night on this motor it had metal inserts that bolt in and then the hoses just use hose clamps I hope I can use that. I am going to try to go get intake gaskets, oil pan gaskets, spark plugs, motor mounts and trans mount and see if I can get it all swaped back over tonight and maybe get the motor all back in the camaro tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay I got both motors striped tonight and tomorrow start bolting everything back on the and see if I can maybe get it back under and in the car. I hope the heater conversion comes up. I have the whole bracket from the grand prix which the heater hoses clamp on but the bracket and tensior setup and the alt. are different than the camaro setup. I was removing the bracket and the plastic elbow came out of the intake and bracket fine but the cast peice that goes in the timing cover for the other heater hose broke half in and half out. So Know I have to figure something out their know.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The motor is all back together and back under and bolted in the car just about a hour left and have it all finished up then just bleed the brakes. I ended up finding out that the 99 and up belt tensior bracket has the plastic elbow on each end instead of the 97 one that has a cast one at the timing cover that broke. I am going to fab my own heater hose ends to fit in there to use hose clamps frrom using the grand prix ones and welding a tab for the bolt to go in. Since I would really like not to use the ones that are a 90.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

alright now your gettin er done. hope it all works out right for ya.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay I made my own heater hose nipple from the straight grand prix ones and wleded my own tabs on them they work great. I also got the car all done and got the brakes bleed just have to bolt the tires on and take it for a drive to get plates tomorrow. I have no leaks and no check engine codes. I noticed that neither one of the turn signals worked they don't flash they just stay on on the dash. So I guess I will address the turn signal thing.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Default RS 1997 rs 3.8 advice

Unless I missed it I did not see how many miles was on the motor? Did you find out how long ago this happened?

Head gaskets on this motor, (because it is mounted normally except for it being set back under the dash) if it is like my 2000 is not that bad. BUT, if the previous owner ran the motor with this problem for an extended period of time then don't take the chance unless you are going to do the heads yourself.

A good shop will cost at least $1,200.00 with the heads being milled, if they are in the recommended tolerance where they can be saved. It will cost a quarter of that 1,200.00 if you do your own work.

Personally, I would not trust a junk yard motor, all that work to take out and replace without tearing down and/or rebuilding the replacement motor may be the wrong move.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by baran220
Unless I missed it I did not see how many miles was on the motor? Did you find out how long ago this happened?

Head gaskets on this motor, (because it is mounted normally except for it being set back under the dash) if it is like my 2000 is not that bad. BUT, if the previous owner ran the motor with this problem for an extended period of time then don't take the chance unless you are going to do the heads yourself.

A good shop will cost at least $1,200.00 with the heads being milled, if they are in the recommended tolerance where they can be saved. It will cost a quarter of that 1,200.00 if you do your own work.

Personally, I would not trust a junk yard motor, all that work to take out and replace without tearing down and/or rebuilding the replacement motor may be the wrong move.
Great time to chime in, right after the "I got it all done" post. Think we have been clear it is a roll of the dice. That is why most shop will not install used motors. But for a DIY'er if you pay 600 for a low miles used motor it is a lot less risky then fixing your high miles antifreeze in the oil motor. Most of these motors can be exchanged if a problem is found. Sure that is a lot of work but if buget is the main concern then you will have a running car and with a little luck a low miles solid running motor.

For my car I had a spun bearing and the piston slaped the head on a 132K motor. New long block $2200 plus all the stuff to install it rebuilding would have been just as much or more cause I need a crank and pistons. $600got me 2002 motor with 48K on it. I have put about 5K on it since the install and it is running perfect.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well after everything done and said I bought the grand prix pulled the motor and then loaded the car with scrap I have had to start to pile up and all the gaskets plugs and tensior assembly and fluids and everything else I have 300 hundred total for everything but it does have 107K on the motor but runs great and lookes great internally. I have two codes that came on last night. So know I have to figure what to fix for these. I have read some were the po441 could be vaccum line hooked up backwards which if I am correct is the valve bolted on the alternator bracket and not sure if I have them vaccum lines crossed because not sure which goes were.
1. P0441
Powertrain: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
2. P1406
Powertrain: EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

Last edited by 1997_3.8; 11-11-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow you got out cheap mine ended up well over 2K,, $600 for the friken clutch, Another $300 for SS headers and $200 for the shifter could have been avoided, don't tell my wife.

Please keep me posted on P0441. I get that code about every three days. I have not had time to look at it. The P1406 could just be dirty in the EGR valve from moving it around. It just needs a cleaning.

I would not worry about the miles,, Most of the time these motors fail its because the intake or the headgasket fails and people keep driving them. Or the fan switch something like that. 200K is not uncommon.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-11-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a power steering pump to do on a gmc then i have to do brakes and tune up on another car. When I get done with them I will start to address the codes and keep you posted

Quick Reply: Just got a 1997 rs 3.8 need advice