93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

intermittent misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default intermittent misfire

2001 v6 camaro 5 speed. While i'm driving the car will randomly misfire. It has been going on for a few months now. Just replaced the spark plugs today with oem acdelco iridium plugs and gapped them all at .060 which is factory specs. Wires are pretty new as well and show no signs of wear. I took it to advance auto and scanned it with their scanner and it showed the code p0341 for the camshaft position sensor so i bought a new one and put it in. Still misfiring and showing the same code. We cleared it and it still shows the code. The oil pressure sending unit harness that is wired together with the cps is not connected to anything because i have an aftermarket gauge. The scanner also showed the code p0449 for something in the emissions or something. Another thing that happened while i was at advance was that we undid the ground right in front of the battery and nothing in the car would turn on. The guy that worked there said that maybe my other grounds were bad. I have already tested all the coil packs and they all showed good resistance so now the only thing i can think of doing is to take it to a chevrolet dealership and have them hook up their scanner to tell me exactly what the problem is unless i can figure it out with the help of you guys. Anything y'all can think of that would cause the misfire?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is no way to test a coil for carbon tracking (random missfire) except a auto scope. Resistance measurment would only show a dead coil. Your car would not be driveable with a dead coil. Also when you say the wires look ok, there is no way to check them without a scope either. If you know they are decent wires and they are less then 5 years old they may be good but if one was routed too close to the exhaust it could be shot. Wires rarly show signs or wear.

The most common cause of random missfire is plug wires building resistance and causing the coils to carbon track. But that does not mean you do not have another issue.

There should be a ground right above the starter and a ground stap from the block to to the body on the drivers side right at the sway bar bolts.

Since your car cranks ok your ground cable is working, try running temp ground wires off the engine to the chassie. Maybe run 2 or three of them and see if anything changes. When tracking down odd ball issue the GM support guys used to have me run external grounds all over the place.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the input. I've got an appointment at 8:30 with my local mechanic to try and figure out what the issue is. As for the wires, they're taylor spiro pro 8mm and some of them are sitting on the exhaust manifold so i don't know if that could have fried one of them or not.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The mechanic hooked up his computer at idle and then took it for a test drive and when it "misfired" it didn't show up in his misfire log so he told me he thinks its just a dirty fuel injector. Just went and bought the big container of lucal fuel system cleaner and i'll see how it does. Also if i remember correctly, the miss started when i stopped ******* the car. I've heard some people say that if a car is babied for a while, carbon will build up since it isn't being burned off when it's at the higher rpm's.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

These can be tricky, a bad coil can go weeks with out acting up but with a random missfire it can be anything, injectors to sticking valves. If it is the coil it will get worse. Injector issues are less likely to come and go.

I like to install a new fuel filter before putting a tank cleaner in a car that has not had it for awhile. The cleaners can force stuff through the filter that have been in the filter for years. I have seen car run worse after a treatment.