93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Installing K&N cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Default Installing K&N cold air intake

Ok so my air filter box is right there when I open up the hood and can change out a filter or something in about 30 seconds. I have read reviews on the K&N cold air intake and someone said they had to remove their side panel to get to it others said their "box" had to be taken out from the bottom of the car. Am I missing something? I honestly have no idea how a cold air intake system works, could someone enlighten me on this subject. Thx

Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Overdrive Member

no its pretty simple,easily removed from the top of the car.Even people with no experience working on cars can do this

Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 PM

Ok that's what I figured. I read at K&N reviews that a few people had some problems getting to their box, but like I said mine just sits right down into a whole easily removable and all that.

Thx for info.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you take out all of the old stuff and put in the plastic tube. Its not that hard...

i thought i had a pic but only this one. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=34600328

Not to good and not to bad

but if u need more help ill take better pics

Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hmmm....when I put K&N CAI's on my 4th gen's the filter hung down below the metal shelf area where the stock filter box sits. The tube of the K&N snorkel fit through the existing hole, and the filter attached from below (after you remove the bottom plastic access panel of the car). There was no way for the filter to be pulled up through that hole, since the hole is way smaller than the filter. The filter being below like that is what makes it a cold air intake. The one shown in shawnz pics aren't a CAI because it's pulling in air from the engine compartment. It would be considered more of an HAI (hot air intake).

Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the way ^ explained it is right on for what u have to do. the hardest part is putting the filter on. just go to summitt and click on the instructions. thatll give you a better idea of what it entails. i just did a moroso with a vortec elbow on my car yesterday and it took less than an hour to do the cai. i have had the k&n before and i think i like the moroso a little better. almost the same thing but the moroso is mounted better. doesnt move at all but that could be because of the solid elbow at the tb. the k&n on my first 93 did move a little (potential rattle) but had the rubber tb elbow on it.

Last edited by craby; 04-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Are you running a 93-97 or a 98+? From what you're saying, it sounds like a 98+, which has the air filter box on top. The 3.4L from what I remember ran down into the area behind a headlight. If you are running the 3.8L, these are the pics of what you can do. However, its a tight radius getting in behind the radiator. Mine snapped and went under the car, and I rolled over $150 worth of parts and K&N Air Filters.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=DSCF4007.jpg

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=DSCF4005.jpg

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...CF4004-1-1.jpg

That first pic is really revision 2.0. The first time I did it, it was behind the radiator and against the belt. Bad idea. That was more down behind the radiator but blocking the exhaust fan. Bad idea number 2. I finally got it all the way under the car, about 2 inches of breathing space below the pickup in front of the radiator. It's a lot of weight, and I went cheap and used Spectre pipes.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hugh??? you might be talking about the old intake the (blue one) but yeah the k&n drops down through the existing hole and you need to drill and bold on a plastic thing that holds the intake in place and keeps it from wobbleing but i added the link with the top of the intake you can kinda see it

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, I was talking about the blue one in your pic album. I didn't see a K&N, unless that came later in the album that I didn't see.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Get a new lid and a K&N filter and your stock air box will perform just as well as the K&N CAI

Quick Reply: Installing K&N cold air intake