93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Increasing speed a bit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Increasing speed a bit

Hi I got a 3.8 96 RS which obviously a V6. I'm not looking for anything thats gunna make my ride a beast of an automobile but I was just looking on increasing the speed to a respectable V6. I looked over the list of bolt on mods and didn't really know which ones worked the best in terms of increasing HP and so on. Was just seeing if anyone had any imput on what types of things I should look at buying. Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Increasing speed a bit

Most ofthe bolt-ons are pretty close to one another in terms of performance. Rear gears would be another choice, unless of course you are one of the lucky ones with the Y87 package. There are some good cams out there as well. With those though, I'd recommend upgrading your valvetrain as well (i.e. roller rockers, valvesprings, pushrods).

Old 04-12-2008, 02:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

see thats the thing im 17 and dont really know sh*t about cars. I wouldnt know the first place to start lol

Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Overdrive Member

Start with the easy stuff... Cold air intake, catback exhaust, that's where most people start.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:25 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

thats what the stickeys at the top of the v6 section are for bud but start were everybody starts go with a cold air intake first then cat back exaughst then headers high flow cat LS1 aluminum drive shaft as stan said rear gears posi (unless you have y87) then finally the big stuff cam rollers lifters then can go with head work....or if youve got some cash to burn go with the base bolt ons first then look tword forced indcution....Ie supercharger or turbo id reomend superchargher...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

There isnt much you can really do to the 96 RS, i think SLP made one CAI but its $300, pretty much all you can do is cat back

Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I was told about marylandspeed.com and bought my slp intake for $269.00 it is a very good piece, also a stickey about how to search would be helpful for new people, .......SFC

Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 96WhiteLightnin

There isnt much you can really do to the 96 RS, i think SLP made one CAI but its $300, pretty much all you can do is cat back
There is ALOT more than you think.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:58 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

300 bucks for a CAI is freaking rediculous go with one from ebay i presonally got mine from a company called chrome intakes for 76 bucks shiped when it comes to cai particually 93-97 cars its just a a tube with a better filter at the end as long as you get a good filter ie K&n as long as the tube is solid and fits together tightly a tube is a tube is a tube is a tube no real subtleys too it its just a tube....

Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

ORIGINAL: 96WhiteLightnin

There is ALOT more than you think.
You think i haven't looked into it? there aren't to many bolt-ons and after that its pointless to do internals/turbo or sc because with that kind of money you might as well just buy an LS1

ORIGINAL: BigNic

300 bucks for a CAI is freaking rediculous go with one from ebay i presonally got mine from a company called chrome intakes for 76 bucks shiped when it comes to cai particually 93-97 cars its just a a tube with a better filter at the end as long as you get a good filter ie K&n as long as the tube is solid and fits together tightly a tube is a tube is a tube is a tube no real subtleys too it its just a tube....
well there's not much room on the 3.8L intake so i think SLP is the only one that made one and its $299

Quick Reply: Increasing speed a bit