93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Ignition key stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Ignition key stuck!

Anyone ever had their ignition key stuck in the key cylinder? Key is not bent and it will start the car. Just can't turn it back to the off position and remove it from the cylinder. Feels like maybe one of the cylinder pins or whatever they are called is catching on it as you try to remove it. Does anyone know how to get it out?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Stick or automatic? Have you had the colum apart recently? Is the steering wheel on a bind? or does it move freely?

To me that does not sound like a cyclinder problem. Sound more like its a problem with the cyclinder locking the steering wheel.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Stick or automatic? Have you had the colum apart recently? Is the steering wheel on a bind? or does it move freely?

To me that does not sound like a cyclinder problem. Sound more like its a problem with the cyclinder locking the steering wheel.
Well, I first thought it was because the auto was not fully locked into park, check that, not the problem, the checked to see if wheel was in a bind by turning it left and right as I tried to remove the key but The key will not rotate back to the final position where one can slide the key out. Never had the column apart. I finally worked it back and forth until it moved to the off position so the key could be removed. Now just have to figure out what is going on.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
4th Gear Member

Wore out key or lock cylinder problem. Had the same problem on my 3rd gen car and the problem is NOT going to cure itself, it is only going to get worse. Note: getting a new key cut from the old one is not the solution, just new lock cylinder and key set solved my problem.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe I am wrong but I do not remember ever seeing a cyclinder causeing the key not to turn all the way off. The tumblers stop the key from turning on but I do not see how they can stop a key from turning off. I guess it is possible. I have seen tumblers fail and you could even take the keys out of the car while it was running. The car still was able to turn all the way off. It sounds to me more like the gear the ignition is engaging is binding up. Could be tranny adjustment or something failed mechanicly in the colum. If you are 100% sure its not the tranny adjustment the repair procedure for both problems is the same. The colum needs to come apart. Once you strip the colum down to the point you could take out the cyclinder you will be able to see whats going on. If you find it is the cyclinder you can take your key and old cyclinder to your local dealer and the parts guy should be able to hook you up on the spot.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Member

You don't have to take nothing apart in the column to remove the lock cylinder. My bet is a wore out key, as I said before cutting a new one from the old key is not going to work.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by blackz87
You don't have to take nothing apart in the column to remove the lock cylinder.
What? There is a locking retaining screw under the turn signal switch. It would be a pretty neat trick to get that out without taking nothing apart. As a general rule once the key is so worn out it will not push the tumber it will not turn on. Turning off is not nomally an issue. But I am not an expert I have only rebuilt 20 or 30 colum due to theft and replaced a dozen or so cyclinder due to tumbler failer.

With proof of onwership the dealer can make a new key by the vin number.

90% of the time I have seen this problem it has been a tranny adjustment issue. The reason I asked if it has been a part before is because there are a lot of ways to get the colum together wrong and that will cause all kinds of problems.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-25-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Well the key is a new key and has worked since July. The original key failed and the security system was not able to read the resistance.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is it a tilt colum? does it feel tight? Or does the colum have a lot of play in it?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Is it a tilt colum? does it feel tight? Or does the colum have a lot of play in it?
It is a tilt column and it does feel tight. Something is catching inside the column not allowing it to turn the key off at times. I have never had a column apart and can't visualize what is behind there. Guess I am going to get to see!

Quick Reply: Ignition key stuck!