93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

huge battery voltage discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM
2nd Gear member
Default huge battery voltage discrepancies

Can you explain this to me?? Battery keeps getting drained by something. Still trying to figure out what/why. Battery tested 1.94 volts while hooked to car. Unplug it to bring in and charge AGAIN and voltage climbs. It's been sitting overnight and is up to 10.94 volts this morning. We haven't even charged it yet. It's going into the shop next week anyway for complete rewiring but anyone speculate what's going on with this?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Possibly an internal short or bad diode in your alternator causing a voltage drain. Have you taken the alternator anywhere to get tested? Also, having battery voltage when disconnected doesn't mean you have sufficient cranking amps, as you could have a bad cell(s). Have you had the battery load tested?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear member

I haven't had the alternator "professionally" tested but it's a new one with very little miles on the car since putting it in. When the battery is fully charged and running it will measure in the 14 volt range so I assume it's charging. I haven't had this battery tested. We're not even attempting to crank the car as something is screwed with the VATS and throws security anyway. Just trying to watch the battery last few days to see what's going on with it. I've never heard of one being almost flatlined in the car and then unhooking it and it climb like that.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear member

If there's a short somewhere, I'm assuming they will find that when they rewire it next week. Previous owner has wires everywhere for some reason. Still haven't determined why the drivers door only opens from the inside. Gotta love a possessed car.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be a number of things. alternator may not be going off when the ignition is turned off, could be a short in one or another system. unhooking all the fuses have been used to see if the drain is still there. if not then hook them back up to see if drain comes back. if you have an aftermarket amp it may be its not turning off. could be a light switch has failed and is not going off. like glove box or center console light. a battery will recover some if unhooked from a voltage drain. im sure thats what happening there

Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Good ideas. How would I know about the alternator? I just taped the center console "button" thing down to be sure it's not that. I need to replace the console anyway as the hinges are broke. It doesn't have an amp but it does have a sony stereo. We pulled fuse on that once before for several days and it didn't affect anything.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best way would be to test the voltage drain with and without the alternator hooked up. if voltage drops when alternator is hooked up then there is an issue with ignition switch or wires to it or the alternator or wires to it.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Complete rewired? what does that cost ? about 5K

Most comon cause of a drain in a factory original car is the lighter, second would be hood or glove box lights. Most comon cause in a car that has a modified wiring is the modified wiring. Even professionally installed trailer lighting is a comon place for problems. We use to pull all none stock wiring and check to see if the draw remains. Chasing down these types of draws is very easy most of the time but sometimes they can be tuff and time consuming and you really don't know till you dig into it.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Complete rewired? what does that cost ? about 5K
ummmm NO! I have a written quote of $200 maximum and they don't think it will be on the higher end of that either. They are charging by the job on it though because I've been told it can take several days and won't be charged labor by the hour. I will just be sooooo happy when I can go out and crank the darn car and run to the store on ocassion. This is pathetic! I will never comprehend why someone felt the need to create the wired mess.